Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Beach Read: NOBODY'S DARLING

I met Gina Ardito through the Avalon Authors blog and found her interviews and comments so funny and interesting that I hurried myself off to the nearest library and checked out her latest book.  So last weekend while a freak winter storm raged outside (thankfully we were spared any of the white stuff!  It was still October!), I curled up and lost myself in the world of April Raine and Dr. Jeff Prentiss.  It was one of the most delightful weekends I’ve had in a long time! 

Book Title: Nobody’s Darling, A Nobody Romance
Author:  Gina Ardito
Genre:  Contemporary Romance
Setting:  A secluded cabin
Format:  Hardcover, Library Edition
Pages:  202
Publication date:  April, 2011
Publisher:  Avalon Books
Favorite Passage:  “....You’re smarter than you give yourself credit for.”
     “Gee, Thanks.”  She snorted
     He started to explain, and she held up a hand.
     “Don’t worry.  I won’t let it go to my head. Besides, I’m not really book smart.  I’m more like TV Guide-crossword-puzzle smart.” 

Beach Read Rating:  5 out of 5 Beach Umbrellas


Review: Here’s a secret—I have been known to watch reality TV.  So when I found this book had a Big Brother-type basis I knew I was going to enjoy it.  Think about a TV camera and a microphone that pick up your every action and words, and then an editor splices scenes together to put a spin on things, making it less “real” and more complicated  It’s a recipe for conflict at its best! 
          In addition to the believable and sustainable conflict, what keeps this book moving forward a combination of great dialogue, a vivid setting, and strong  characters who suffer from emotional pain so deep it hampers their ability to love again. I was rooting for April and Jeff from the first page. 
          If you’d like to know more about the author, I had the honor to interview her for the Avalon Authors blog, which you can read by clicking here.  As an added bonus, if you leave a comment on that blog before November 16th, you can be entered to win a free copy of either Nobody’s Darling, or her latest release, Nobody’s Business (the second book in the series.)  Good luck! 

Cover blurb:  April Raine was married and pregnant at eighteen, divorced ten years later, and has struggled to provide for her children. Now a successful businesswoman, she accepts a challenge from a daytime talk show to compete in a thirty-day battle of the sexes. April is up against a television psychologist who claims her organization hurts the very people she alleges to help.
Dr. Jefferson Prentiss, television's Dr. Jeff, is haunted by the loss of his wife and newborn son, and by his role in their deaths. To atone, he's dedicated his professional life to the ideals of family. The talk show challenge presents him with the opportunity to prove not only the sagacity of his self-help book, but the inherent danger of paying strangers to perform those family tasks that should be done out of love and nurture.
Once inside an isolated cabin filled with videotaping equipment, April and Jeff learn from each other, tackle their demons, and discover a new awareness between them: love.

No comments: