Friday, January 27, 2012

Beach Chat with Beate Boeker

Beach Chat—15 rapid-fire questions asked of a writer.

Name:  Beate Boeker

Book you are reading right now: The Foundling by Georgette Heyer

Preference, print or ebook: Doesn't matter; I like both, but I don't have room to keep all the books I love, so e-books have an advantage!

Genres you write: Romance and cozy mysteries

Current work in progress: A trioloy about the owner of a lingerie store in Florence (Italy) whose exuberant family keeps falling over bodies, much to the dismay of the attractive Inspector who would prefer not to investigate the family of the woman he wants to date.

Favorite place to write: Home. I have a desk the size of a standard towel, but I don't need more. My screen is fixed on the wall, and my feet are up on a footstool while I recline in a chair, usually covered by several blankets. A mount of fleece with an occasional curl sticking out - that's me while writing! Of course, I have to set all letters at 28 point or so to see them from my declining position, but that's how I like it. The only drawback is my husband, who reads over my shoulder from the other end of the room and keeps drawing my attention to mistakes he spots from a distance of several feet.

Biggest writing challenge: Waiting for answers from publishing houses and agents (waiting is NOT my forte!)

   One author, living or dead, with whom you'd like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: Georgette Heyer! I love the way she describes people, with so much irony!

Three of your favorite things:1.  Sleep (I can sleep for ten or eleven hours without interruption - it happens quite often! My doctor once told me I would get very old due to that habit. Am not sure if I want to get THAT old, though, but I can't help it . . . my body just switches off the lights.),
2.  Write (of course!) If I don't write for more than two weeks, I get itchy until I finally find my equilibrium again, back at work on my current novel.
3.  Travel (I prefer warm climates while my husband and daughter like it colder, so we end up with compromises which usually make me freeze while they sweat. Our last summer was spent at the Normandy, in the North of France, in a tent. It was wonderful - in spite of being wet and cold.)

Worst non-writing job you ever had: Cutting onions and other stuff in the canteen of a large chemical company for several hours each day. I did that for seven weeks and cried every single day (due to the onions, but my feelings matched the tears). Never again.

Dream car: I don't like cars - so I'd say: my bike! :-) Or, if I have to take a car, one with an electric motor, as they are so silent and don't stink. As a family, we sold our car and have signed up with a car-sharing project in our town, so we pick our cars according to size as we need it. I love the concept.

One guilty pleasure: Butter (need I say more? My colleagues are always spellbound when they watch me eating breakfast on business trips - a slab of bread, an equally thick slab of butter, a slab of chocolate spread - I know, I know - but you asked for guilty, didn't you?)

Pet peeve: People who answer e-mails by saying "I'm not responsible for this" instead of forwarding my e-mail to the person who IS responsible.

Favorite quote or saying: If you want it, you can do it.

Best beach memory: In Germany, we have a thing called "Strandkorb" at the beaches - a sort of huge basket that protects you from the wind, fixed around a reclining seat. I once drove to the coast early on a hot summer morning, took five books, money for ice-cream, my bikini, a towel, and a snack. I spent all day at the beach, inside my wonderful Strandkorb. Utter bliss!

Pictured Above:  Strandkorb

Bio: Beate Boeker has three romances published by Avalon Books, New York. The last one called A Little Bit of Passion came out in 2011 and is entirely written in the form of e-mails. Beate has also published several short stories on Amazon in 2011, amongst others the entertaining series “A Culinary Catastrophe.”
          She has a degree in International Business Administration and sixteen years of work experience in marketing which continuously provides her with a wide range of fodder for her novels, be it hilarious or cynical.
Widely traveled, she speaks German (her mother language), English, French and Italian fluently and lives in the North of Germany together with her husband and daughter.
While 'Boeker' means 'books' in a German dialect, her first name Beate can be translated as ‘Happy’ . . . and with a name that reads ‘Happy Books’, what else could she do but write novels with a happy ending? She has chosen to write in English because she appreciates the professional support and training opportunities a writer can find in the US.
Learn more about Beate at www.happybooks.de

6 comments:

Patricia said...

All I can say is I wish I could have a Standkorb! It sounds delightful and dreamy - to be able to sit on the beach all day with everything you need by your side, yet be comfortable, out of the direct sun, with the water a few feet away. Awwww...
Nice interview. Well done.

Loretta C. Rogers said...

You have a wonderful way with words, Beate. Germany is such a lovely country. I remember riding the bicycle to the market and the lovely parks. Great interview.

Carolyn Hughey said...

Beate, I love your answers. Lots of butter, huh? I won't comment, but I love it too. I'm just too chicken to pile it on because it will pile on the pounds. In your case though, you probably ride your bike every when you're not doing the car-sharing.

I wish I could sleep 8 eights. I can manage 4-6 (tops). If I can make it to the 6, I celebrate. Awesome interview and I want a Stankorb too!

Julie Phoenix said...

Fabulous interview Beate, I echo others comments, a strandkorb would be lovely, but perhaps not quite right for our British summers! I loved the description of how you write, sounds very relaxing and enjoyable.
Keep writing!

Jayne Ormerod... said...

I'm wondering if I can make my first millions by starting a strandkorb franchise here in the US? What a fabulous concept.

Thanks for all the insights Beate. I always enjoy when you stop by my blog!

And thanks to Patti (who will chat with us next Friday), Loretta, Carolyn and Julie, too. Offer remains open to anyone who wants to chat!

Alexis Walker said...

Great interview! I'm with you on the warm places. It's 77 degrees outside and I'm in sweatpants! Your husband is funny, reading over your shoulder. I wonder how much of him ends up in your books :-)