Friday, January 20, 2012

Beach Chat with Lois Winston

  

   Name: Lois Winston, author of the Anastasia Pollock Crafting Mysteries

   Book you are reading right now: I recently finished The Past Came Hunting by Donnell Ann Bell and plan to start reading Back in the Habit by Alice Loweecey as soon as I find a free moment.


Preference, print or ebook: It used to be print but I’m enjoying ebooks more and more lately because I can make the type larger.

Genre you write: humorous amateur sleuth mysteries

Current work in progress: I recently turned in Revenge of the Crafty Corpse, the third book in my Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries. As soon as I finish up my blog tour for the release of Death By Killer Mop Doll, the second book in the series, I’ll begin the fourth book.

Favorite place to write: My office. It’s also the only place I can write because that’s where my desktop computer is. One of these days maybe I’ll get a laptop, but until then, I’m chained to my desk.

Biggest writing challenge: coming up with new and interesting ways to torment my protagonist

Dorothy Parker
One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:


Three of my favorite things: Jack, Zoe, and Chase

Worst non-writing job you ever had: art director for a misogynist ad agency owner


  

   Dream car: Morgan (pictured at left)

   One guilty pleasure: Broadway

   Pet peeve: people who don’t return emails



Favorite quote or saying: North Jersey’s more mature answer to Stephanie Plum.” From Kirkus Reviews regarding Anastasia Pollack in their review of Assault With a Deadly Glue Gun, the first book in my Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries series. I plan to have it inscribed on my headstone.

Best beach memory: Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda   

Bio: Lois Winston is the author of the critically acclaimed Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries published by Midnight Ink. Assault With a Deadly Glue Gun, the first book in the series, received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and Booklist and was recently nominated for a Readers Choice Award by the Salt Lake City Library System. The new year brings with it the release of Death By Killer Mop Doll, the second book in the series. Read an excerpt at http://www.loiswinston.com/excerptap2.html. Visit Lois at her website: http://www.loiswinston.com and Anastasia at the Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers blog: http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com. You can also follow Lois and Anastasia on Twitter @anasleuth.
Lois is currently on a blog tour for the release of Death By Killer Mop Doll, and she’s giving away 5 signed copies of the book. All you have to do to enter is post a comment to this blog or any of the other blogs on the tour. You can find the tour schedule at her website http://www.loiswinston.com and Anastasia’s Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers blog http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com . Lois is also giving away 3 additional copies of Death By Killer Mop Doll on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/15173-death-by-killer-mop-doll .

17 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm going to Honolulu for the first time next week so this was especially appropriate while I'm in about-to-get-snow NYC!

Lois Winston said...

Rachel, can I stow away in your luggage?

Liz said...

Glad to hear the third of the series is coming along. Best wishes.

Lois Winston said...

Thanks, Liz!

Jane R said...

I like your choice of cars. I've always thought it would be fun to have a yellow roadster. And, people who don't answer their emails is one of my pet peeves too. So glad to hear that Anastasia will be back in a third and fourth book! Love your series!

Lois Winston said...

Thanks, Jane! Anastasia will be back in a third, fourth, and FIFTH book at this point.

Cathy Shouse said...

Lois,

In November, I won an Advance Reader Copy of "Death By Killer Mop Doll" from your publisher, Midnight Ink. Now I'm in Anastasia withdrawal. You need to write faster. :)

If I win a book, I'll pass it along to a friend. They aren't getting my copy. lol

cathy underscore shouse at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

Lois,

You book titles sound Hilarious. I’d love to win a copy of your book!

Good Luck with your series!

Kim G.

Lois Winston said...

Cathy, it's not how fast I write; it's how often my publisher wants to publish the books. They've decided on a once a year release. I'm so sorry you're going through Anastasia withdrawal!

Jayne Ormerod... said...

Lois, can we start a grass-roots campagin to get Anastasia twice a year? :)

But glad to hear so many more are in the pipeline. Nothing I like better than following a series. Yeah.

Jane R said...

Yay!! A fifth book in the wings as well!! I'm in heaven and hope there's even more than that to come!

Lois Winston said...

I hope so, too, Jane!

jeff7salter said...

Dorothy Parker?
Why, pray tell, would you want to sip a drink with her?
Why not Robert Redford?

Lois Winston said...

Oh, Jeff, you really need to learn more about Dorothy Parker!

jeff7salter said...

Okay, I read up on D. Parker. Learned more than I knew prev.
I didn't realize how unhappy she was (especially later in life) ... and how bitter.
Didn't know that her ashes were un-claimed for some 17 years.
But, all that said --- I CAN see where she would be a very interesting person to speak with. So I withdraw my objection. Ha.

llk10 retired said...

I just finished reading "Death by Killer Mop Doll." Loved it. I purchased the first book in the series, but I'm saving money for a new house, so got this one from the library. It would be fun to win a copy.

So glad to hear there will be at least five books in the series. Cozy mysteries with humor. It doesn't get much better.

Lois Winston said...

Thank you, llk10 retired. I hope you find a wonderful new home.