Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beach Read: "Chic in France" by Beate Boeker

The definition of a “beach read” is something quick to read while relaxing at the beach.  This story falls into that category on so many levels.  Most significantly, it’s a short story, not a full-length novel, so you can read the entire thing before having to reapply any SPF-99.  As an aside, the author of this story (as well as many wonderful books) will join us for Beach Chat on Friday, so be sure and revisit this blog again. 

Story Title: Chic in France
Author:  Beate Boeker
Genre: Romantic Short Story
Setting: NYC and Nice, France (oh-la-la)
Format:  Kindle download
Length:  8,600 words (about 25 pages if printed in book format)
Publication date:  May, 2011
Publisher:  none
Opening Lines:
     “French women,” Jack said, “have a certain je-ne-sais-quoi.”
     I hate it when Jack speaks French to me, but I nodded and pretended I understood. 
Favorite Passage:  He shook his head just like my father did that day when I had told him I wanted to climb on the roof of our house to touch the moon. 

Beach Read Rating: 5 out of 5 Beach Umbrellas


Review:  This question this story sets out to answer is: what lengths will a woman will go to to catch a man’s attention?  In this case, Claire travels all the way to France in an attempt to discover what qualities French women posses that the man in Claire’s crosshairs (Jack) finds so utterly irresistible.  What Claire finds (in addition to French shoes!) is a lesson worthy of an Aesop’s fable.  Author Beate Boeker uses her story-telling skills (and she is one of the most skillful storytellers I know) to spin an enchanting tale.  My only complaint is that it is toooooooo short! 

Flap Copy:  Claire has fallen hard for her New York colleague Jack who only raves about the elegance of French women.  Exasperated, she decides to fly to Nice to judge things for herself.  Bowled over by the French way of doing things, she ends up meeting Jacques and learns more than she counted on…

1 comment:

Charlottemacaw said...

This has caught my attention as I am always on the lookout for something cute and light.