Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Reading Resolutions

It’s that time of year, when we shake the dust off from the previous year (and let’s face it, 2011 left a lot of dust on a lot of people) and make promises to improve ourselves for the New Year.  Many people resolve to lose weight or eat better or exercise or quit texting while driving (we’d all appreciate that).  Those promises to oneself are all well and good, but what about improving the minds?  That is why this year I’m making a Reading Resolution, forcing myself to get off the “fast reading” diet of cozy mysteries and regency romances.  Oh, not permanently!  I could never do that.  But, like eating an apple a day, reading a book a month that’s outside my genre will stretch my mind and broaden my horizons and possible make me a more interesting person. 
Hmmm, so many books to choose from, from the “classics” to the “literary fiction” that The Oprah endorses.  What shall I chose?  Oh, I know!  Since Edith Wharton has a tenuous connection (she spent youthful summers at a “cottage” (and by that I mean a “mansion” by the sea) in my hometown in Newport, RI I think I’ll read The Age of Innocence.  There, I’ve put it in writing and shared it with the world, so now I have to do it.  I’ll post a blog on how it goes. 
Your turn…what book do you have in your TBR (that’s To Be Read) pile for 2012?   

3 comments:

Rhonda Hopkins said...

My goal is to read one classic a month. I've read a lot of them, but once I started making a list, I realized how many I hadn't rad. . So in 2012 I plan to remedy that oversight.

Hope you have a happy, healthy and successful 2012!

Jayne Ormerod... said...

Rhonda...so many classics, so little time! Enjoy!!!!

catierhodes.com said...

I got a Kindle for Christmas. It has allowed me to rediscover pulp horror. I am enjoying new work by Matt Hults and Jack Kilborn. I am discovering older, out of print novels by favorites like Joe R. Lansdale. I bought the new Stephen King book on my Kindle.

Anyway, my TBR list. I have a bunch of Sandra Brown books I bought in my library's Friends of the Library thrift store. I really want to read those so I can take them back to the library and re-donate them. And so I can buy the new Sandra Brown book on Kindle....

Hope to see more of you in 2012. :D