Friday, February 24, 2012

Beach Chat with Holly Jacobs

Beach chat:  15 questions answered by an author.  Go! 
Name: Holly Jacobs
  Best beach memory:   Sunrise on a Southampton, Ontario Beach...  I was the only person out and about.  The gulls were starting to stir and I had a loaf of bread to feed them.  The moon was setting just beyond the lighthouse across the water.  The coffee was hot.  Life was way beyond good!


One guilty pleasure: Blue Moon Ice Cream!
Dream car: Right now, I own an orange Pontiac Vibe named Floyd (Nana Vancy drives one in these last two Everything But... books). I bought him with my money and made the deal on my own.  He's my dream car.  Alas, he's getting old enough that I'll need to replace him soon...I'll miss him!

Three of your favorite things: Books.  Music.  Broadway.
Pet peeve: Mean people.
Worst non-writing job you ever had:  Growing up I had younger brothers who I babysat, and a regular set of boys I babysat...I knew boys.  One day, I babysat a gaggle of girls for a friend.  No one ever told me that girls whine...a lot.  Added to that, they overflowed the toilet.  Then the police came because a neighbor complained about a dog.  And I had a blind date that night I didn't want to go on...so of course, the parents got home very late, and I was late.  I hate being late.  That was the worst job ever.  I never babysat girls again!
Book you are reading right now:  A Rita book...I can't tell you the title, but it's good!
Preference, print or ebook:  Real books, there's something more than reading to holding them, feeling the heft of them...the smell.  Even the crackle of the binding.  But I do have a Kindle and have learned to love it.  It's awesome when I travel, and I love the fact I can want a book and a second later have it in my hand.  It's like magic!!
Favorite place to write:  On the couch, next to the fireplace, with the two dogs (Ethel Merman and Ella Fitzgerald) snuggled next to me!
Biggest writing challenge:  Time.  I think time is every writer's worst enemy.  Even now that my kids are bigger, they still need me, and there are other people I take care of too, plus there's always stuff around the house that needs done...there are a lot of demands on my time.
Genre you write:  Romance.  I started in romantic comedy (and still write it), but have added more dramatic stories to my repertoire.
Current work in progress:  I'm working on a new trilogy for SuperRomance (out May, June and July '13) tentatively called Something Borrowed, Something Blue and Something Perfect...I'm so jazzed about them.  They're set in Lake Erie's wine region.
 One author, living or dead, with whom you?d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:  Just one???  My phone just rang and the ringtone was like a sign how I should narrow down my vast writers-I'd-like-to-drink-with list to just one.  Joss Whedon.  Now, I know he's not a novelist, but that man can write.  (And the ringtone was from his Dr. Horrible show...A Man's Gotta Do)
Favorite quote or saying:  "Life is good!"  (Or maybe "Monday Glee!"  I use that one weekly on Facebook...no one likes Mondays, but I adore them. Not only because the house gets quiet when everyone goes to school/work, but also because I feel bad that everyone hates Mondays so much...Mondays need love, too!)

Holly's latest
Avalon release:
"Everything But
a Mother"

Bio:Holly Jacobs leads a life full of romance and adventure. From skydiving to jet-setting around Europe, from snorkeling in coral reefs to writing while wearing beautiful silk peignoir sets and popping chocolate bonbons, Holly Jacobs leads a life that is the epitome of romance.
Well, my fictional life sounds more interesting, but not better than my real life. Really, I'm the happily married mother of four. I write for Harlequin and Avalon Books.
You can visit me at www.HollyJacobs.com

6 comments:

HollyJacobs said...

You know, I just reread the beach blog, and realized, I should have listed family and friends as favorite things...but they're people, not things, so I guess I'll stand by my original answer! LOL

Thanks so much for the beach blog and for the lovely review!

Holly

HollyJacobs said...

.

Jane Myers Perrine said...

LOL! Thanks. As a writer, I LOVE Mondays. As a high school teacher, not nearly as much.

HollyJacobs said...

Jane, Monday love is definitely all about perspective! LOL I work here at home, so Mondays are the day everyone goes back to school and work...and the house is mine! Hence my weekly glee!

Holly

Patricia said...

Holly, I hear you about Mondays! As much as I adore my family and am always complaining that we don't spend enough time together, when Monday hits and everyone's out of the house, it's MY time and I wallow in it! I get to have silence, my dogs by my side, and can do whatever writing and social media I want. Ahhhhhh.
Patti

HollyJacobs said...

Patricia, I hear you on all points! I adore my family, and they're my favorite people to hang out with, but seriously I love the house when it's just me and the dogs! Guess what...day after tomorrow, we'll both be sighing with glee!!

Holly