Friday, March 23, 2012

Beach Chat with Sandra Wilkins

Fifteen questions answered by a writer...

Name: Sandra Wilkins

  Best beach memory:  Living in land-locked Oklahoma, I don't have very many beach memories but I love an old photo of when our family went to visit relatives in California when I was about four years old.  The blue skies, the ocean, a small sailboat and my little brother and I standing in the wet sand made a wonderful picture.  It's too bad I was so small I don't remember it.



One guilty pleasure:  Nestle Toll House cookie dough from the refrigerated section--not raw though, I have to have them baked.  Yummy!
 
Dream car:  A Jeep Wrangler.  It'd be pretty handy--you never know when you might need to drive through a foot of snow or through a huge mud hole! 

Three of your favorite things:  Music, books, my deceased grandmother's wedding ring. 

Pet peeve:  Unfriendly service in stores and restaurants.     

Worst non-writing job you ever had:  I haven't really hated any job that I had, but being a cashier in a large retail store was the most stressful.  Customers shouldn't take their unhappiness out on the cashier! 


  Book you are reading right now:  Anna Karenina.  I don't normally like books with unhappy endings, but I thought I should give this classic a try.  The language is just beautiful, and I'm learning a lot about how to write interesting sentences from reading it. 


Preference, print or ebook:  I still prefer books in print.  I'm just old-fashioned that way!  But, I recently downloaded the Kindle for my PC and I definitely see the appeal of having it in that format.

Favorite place to write:  In long-hand at the kitchen table with my thesaurus and notes spread all around. 

Biggest writing challenge:  Trying to find the time and energy to write after home schooling my two young daughters. 

Genre you write:  I write sweet historical romances, although I'm hoping to branch out into the Christian market with my next series.  And I've always dreamed of writing a romantic suspense or mystery...maybe some day. 

Current work in progress:  I'm writing a new series set in the real town of Chandler, Oklahoma in the year 1908.  The first story is about a young woman who needs to accept all of who she is before she can find true happiness. 

One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki BeachAgatha Christie.  She had a fast wit and traveled to some interesting places.  Maybe I could convince her to whisper in my ear why she disappeared for those few days! 

Favorite quote or saying:  "Inarticulate I shall always be.  It is probably one of the causes that have made me a writer." -- Agatha Christie.  It's so true for me too!


  Bio:  Sandra Wilkins is a fifth generation Oklahoman and enjoys writing fiction involving the state's history.  She is a wife and home schooling mom of two daughters.  In her spare time she is an amateur artist and is attempting to learn to play the guitar--something she's wanted to do since childhood.  Ada's Heart and Rose's Hope are the first two books in The Heartland Series by Avalon Books.    The final book in the series, Gwen's Honor, should be released by the end of 2012.  In the meantime, she continues to work on her next writing project.  Find out more about Sandra at her website:  http://www.sandrawilkins.com/    

2 comments:

Rhonda Hopkins said...

Great interview ladies!

Carolyn Sims said...

Great interview. Sandra's First 2 books are wonderful if you haven't ready them you should give them a try. I am waiting for her third one to come out!
--Carolyn Sims