Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beach Read: I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER by Sophie Kinsella

Is there anything worse than laughing hysterically on a quiet plane?  Not in my book.  But that’s just what I did as I read Sophie Kinsella’s latest offering while on a business trip.  It started as a quiet titter, then a snort or two escaped, and before I could contain myself,  a full-blown belly laugh erupted as Poppy Wyatt’s world unraveled. Poor Poppy.  But lucky me, because her trials and tribulations made my trip ever so much more enjoyable.    

Book Title: I’ve Got Your Number
Author:  Sophie Kinsella
Genre:  Fiction (Chick Lit at its best)
Setting:  London, England
Format:  Hardcover
Pages:  433
Publication date:  February, 2012
Publisher:  The Dial Press
Opening Line:  Perspective.  I need to get perspective.  It’s not an earthquake or a crazed gunman or a nuclear meltdown, is it?  On the scale of disasters, this is not huge.  Not huge.  One day I expect I’ll back at this moment and laugh and think, Ha-Ha, how silly I was to worry--
Favorite Passage:  I now have historical insight.  I actually know what it felt like to have to trudge up to the guillotine in the French Revolution.  As I walk up the hill form the tube clutching the wine I bought yesterday, my steps get slower and slower.  And slower. 

Beach Read Rating: 5 out of 5 Beach Umbrellas


Review: I’ve been a Sophie Kinsella fan for longer than there was a Sophie Kinsella.  For those of you who don’t know, she got her writing start under the name Madeline Wickham.  Her first big break was, of course Shopaholic  ( and that’s another review for another day) but I think Sophie’s strong suit is her stand-alone novels.  And of all her stand-alones (4 as Sophie and 7 as Madeline) I’ve Got Your Number is my new favorite.  While the reader must suspend disbelief to think that a business wouldn’t turn off cell phone service to a lost phone (found by protagonist Poppy Wyatt), what ensues is hilarious.  This is escapist reading (aka “beach reading”) at its finest.  If you can’t wait until a lovely summer day at the beach to read about Poppy’s antics, this is also a fabulous dreary day read!  Can’t recommend it enough! 
Flap Copy: 
I’ve lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn’t supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It’s been in Magnus’s family for three generations. And now the very same day his parents are coming, I’ve lost it. The very same day! Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive :) !!
Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect! 
Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.
What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.
 

1 comment:

If Love Was Water, I'd Give You The Sea said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Sophie Kinsella! Love all of her books! I will have to check out her other books she wrote under the other name, thanks for the heads up!!