Friday, April 6, 2012

Beach Chat with Elisabeth Rose

15 Quick Questions Answered by an Avalon Author

Narooma Beach, the setting for
Elisabeth's latest Avalon release,
The Wedding Party
 Name: Elisabeth Rose

Best beach memory:  I'm not a big fan of the beach but when I was a student a housemate's parents owned an old beach house in an area that is now very busy. Back then we'd go for weekends occasionally and I remember a few of us lying on the empty beach at night talking and looking up at the stars with the waves crashing on the shore, all silvery in the moonlight.



One guilty pleasure: I like playing Age of Empires. We have a really old version and I'll never bother updating it. I like the strategy element and the problem solving. Don't play it much though, usually only in the holidays.

Dream car: Don't really have one but I love my 2005 VW Golf who was instantly named Blue Boy.
Three of your favorite things: Music, my family, reading

Pet peeve: Tailgating drivers and people who talk incessantly on mobile phones or check them constantly for messages.

Worst non-writing job you ever had: Weeding potplants at a Garden Centre. Think blisters, scratches, dirt and hot sun.


Book you are reading right now: Rosie Harris --The Quality of Love

Preference, print or ebook: Definitely print.

Favorite place to write: Since our children left home, my husband and I bagged a spare room each. Mine is quite small but that's where my PC is and my desk. The window looks out on the street but there are lots of trees and parrots come and sit quite close. The photo is a close up of the Gang-gang Cockatoo visible in the view shot.


I can also see the postie (Russell) arrive. :)

Biggest writing challenge: Keeping the middle of the book interesting. That's when it mostly becomes hard work.

Genre you write: Mainly sweet contemporary romance but I have been dabbling in murder mysteries lately for fun.

Current work in progress: Halfway through a murder and I've just begun a romance.

  One author, living or dead, with whom you'd like to sip Mai Tais on  Waikiki Beach: I'd love to meet Carolyn Brown, one of our Avalon authors. She's has a great sense of comedy and is a born story teller.  If Carolyn wasn't up for it I'd want my Avalon buddies Shirley Marks and Beate Boeker to have a reunion with me at Waikiki. We'd all be there in a  flash LOL

Favorite quote or saying: "Where's the dragon? There has to be a dragon." This is something I learned from a writing conference workshop. I wrote it out and stuck it to the shelf above the computer screen to remind me the hero and heroine have to struggle to be with each other. If there's no 'dragon' in the way, there's no story.


About Elisabeth, in her own words:
I love travel and have seen quite a large chunk of the world but there truly is no place like home and for me that's Canberra, Australia. I've been happily married for thirty nine years, produced two wonderful children, teach and play clarinet, teach and practice Tai Chi and write mainly for Avalon.

Come and visit me at my website: www.elisabethrose.com.au
My last release was The Wedding Party set in the small Australian beachside town of Narooma.

My next is Love On the North Shore Line out in June with Avalon.  Here's what it's about:

Are they a bad mix? Is it one of those cosmic messes where the stars are incompatible? 

Professional musician Dimity Farr thinks this may be so because every time she meets handsome Marcus Vettori something goes hideously wrong. Coupled with that is her belief that ambitious financial whizz Marcus is only interested in her because she is a Farr, of the powerful Farr Group of companies, a family connection she prefers to avoid mentioning if possible. Her branch is the black flock of the Farr family.
Marcus thinks Dimity is over reacting to a series of unfortunate coincidences, and he was attracted to her long before he knew her name. His problem is convincing her his attention is genuine especially when, on meeting her cousin the Company Director, he is offered a lucrative position with the Farr Group.

1 comment:

CraigHorman said...

Thank you for some other excellent article. The place else may anybody get that type of information in such an ideal manner of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information. Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to grasp a lot about this, such as you wrote the book in it or something. I feel that you just could do with some % to force the message home a little bit, however other than that, that is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.craighorman