Friday, April 13, 2012

Beach Chat with Fran Fisher

Name: Fran Fisher

Best beach memory:    My husband and I owned an older wooden boat that
     we'd take to the islands and spend entire weekends. We’d fish all day, play in the water, then be back on the boat by sunset. With Willie Nelson music playing in the background, he’d grill me a steak and we’d watch the sunset on the front of the boat.  What memories! I loved that boat, and after Hurricane Katrina, it gave us a place to live for six weeks.

One guilty pleasure:  Sweets. I have a weakness for gooey desserts.

Dream car: I just bought a GMC Acadia and since I’m just starting to make payments on it, it HAS to be my dream car!

Three of your favorite things:   Boating, fishing, and my grandsons (not necessarily in that order).

Pet peeve:   People who say they’ll do something then don’t. I believe in being responsible, and I have little patience with people who are not.

Worst non-writing job you ever had:    During the summer of my senior year of college, I babysat in a really nice hotel at night, but worked on a conveyor belt at a shrimp factory during the day. Sometimes I had to be at the factory by 4 a.m. then stood at the conveyor belt for as long as the shrimp boats unloaded. I was a real pansy. I brought in Playtex gloves and a stool to make it bearable. The older ladies who’d worked there for years laughed at the three of us young girls who tried to keep up with them. That job made me want to get back to college. I swore I’d never complain about studying again. I was determined to finish my degree after that summer.

Book you are reading right now: I just downloaded Practice Makes Perfect by Janice Macdonald. It’s a Harlequin from the HEARTWARMING Line.

 Preference, print or ebook:     I love books, real books that you can hold and smell and turn the pages, but like so many of us, I’m learning to love my Kindle and have ventured into the world of digital publishing. Presently I have two digital books: Playing with Feeling (FREE Amazon download April 14 – 16) and Forever, My Love.
Click here to order from Amazon                           Click here to order from Amazon
                                                                               Click here to order from B&N

Favorite place to write:  Chase lounge in my sunroom that overlooks a quiet bayou harbor.

Biggest writing challenge:    Clearing my mind of the gazillion other things that need attention. That and finding the time to write is a problem I think all authors have.

Genre you write:    Both contemporary romance and historical romance. As Fran Fisher, I have two digital contemporary romances and as Fran McNabb I have two contemporaries and two historical romances. I’m not sure which I prefer.

Current work in progress: A women’s fiction named Threads of Steel.

  One author, living or dead, with whom you'd like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:  LaVyrle Spencer. Not sure if she’d drink Mai Tais, but she is the author who pulled me into the romance genre. I loved her ordinary characters and her stories that pulled the reader into the lives of her characters by creating drama within them. Her stories did not rely on an over-dramatized plotline.

Favorite quote or saying:    When I taught senior English and journalism, I always told my students that if they couldn’t say something nice, it was better not to say anything at all. I still like that saying. Sometimes I probably let that saying rule my writing too much. I tend to make my characters too nice. I have to really work hard to make them cause turmoil in another character’s life.


Bio:    Fran McNabb aka Fran Fisher grew up along the waterways and islands of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and uses that setting in many of her books. She still lives there with her husband. After taking an early retirement from teaching high school, she now spends her time writing, reading and enjoying the water with her husband. As Fran McNabb, she writes historical and contemporary romances for Avalon Books.
As Fran Fisher, she writes contemporary romances.
She loves to hear from her readers at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net or at FranFisherAuthor@yahoo.com. Her websites are www.FranMcNabb.com and www.FranFisherAuthor.com.  

8 comments:

Fran McNabb said...

Jane, thanks for having me today. Your questions are fun!

Runere McLain said...

Lovely interview, Fran! And I happen to like both of your writing personalities.

Looking forward to more of your stories, as Fran Fisher or Fran McNabb!

~Runere~

Cara Lynn James said...

Hi, Fran! Being out on your boat sounds so romantic to me. You're so lucky to live on a bayou--except when the weather turns bad. No more of that, I hope.

Fran McNabb said...

Thanks to both Runere and Cara. I appreciate your comments.

Loretta C. Rogers said...

It's always nice to learn more about you, Fran. Great interview.

Sandy Cody said...

Nice interview. I enjoyed spending time with you, Fran, and getting to you better. Don't worry about being too nice; the world could use a bit more niceness.

Jayne Ormerod... said...

I agree with Sandy--the world could use a bit more niceness!

Thanks for chatting Fran, and to all who stopped by.

BTW, I got my free copy of Playing with Feeling this afternoon. Can't wait to read it!

Jolyse Barnett said...

Jayne, thanks for the great interview with Fran. Now I have more books to read via my Kindle. Much appreciated. :)