Friday, April 20, 2012

Beach Chat with Sandra Carey Cody

Name: Sandy Cody (when I write I use the full moniker - Sandra Carey Cody)

   Best beach memory:  Believe it or not, I didn't even see a beach until I was 27 years old, unless you count a gravel bar on the Mississippi River a beach. I grew up in the middle of the country (St. Louis). We took our first beach vacation when our kids were 2 and 4. What a thrill! I'll never forget the sound of the ocean, the swooping gulls, running in and out of the surf with two little boys, laughing like crazy. Going out on the beach at night with a flashlight, seeing the sand crabs skitter along sideways. Thinking about it brings a smile every time. Thanks for reminding me.

One guilty pleasure:  Eavesdropping. I know it's rude but, hey, I'm a writer. Riding the train is like a graduate course in dialogue.

Dream car:  That's a hard one. I'm not really a car person so I'll keep it general. I'd like for it to be red and small enough to maneuver easily. A great sound system is a must.

Three of your favorite things:  Ice cream, sunsets, a really good book. (I'd say my family but I figure that's a given.)

Pet peeve:  People who refuse to consider any point of view other than their own.

Worst non-writing job you ever had:  Working in the accounting office of a department store. I had to double check the numbers on all the invoices that came in. That's all I did all day long and math was never my favorite subject.  

  Book you're reading right now:  Oh, dear. I'm between books - just finished Ellis Vidler's Haunting Refrain (yes, I would recommend it), am about to start Sydell Voeller's Her Sister's Keeper.

  Preference, print or ebook:  Print. I like the feel of the book in my hand and the fact that I can easily go back and check something if I need to. Having said that, though, I do like ebooks and, once I'm immersed in the story, I'm not aware of the difference. I suspect that if I had learned to read with an ebook, that's what I'd like best.

Favorite place to write:  At my desk in the corner of the bedroom that we've converted to an office. I like the idea of writing outside under the trees, surrounded by birds and flowers but, in truth, I'm too distractible for that.

Biggest writing challenge:  Getting the first couple of sentences into the computer every day. Once I get started, I love writing, but there's nothing more intimidating than a blank screen staring back at me.

Genre you write:  My full-length books are all traditional mysteries, long on puzzle, short on violence. For a change of pace, I write short stories that don't really fit into any genre; mostly they're about families, the give and take of people who love each other but don't always see eye to eye.

Current work in progress:  Right now I'm working on a sequel to Love and Not Destroy. In that book, a baby is abandoned in a shed behind a museum during their annual Folk Fest. Fast forward twenty-two years. A homeless man is murdered in exactly the same place. The foundling, now an adult working at the museum, is haunted by the coincidence. She starts asking questions no one wants to answer. By the end of the book, in a be-careful-what-you-wish-for scenario, she discovers who her biological parents are - and is devastated. In the current work in progress, All That I Am, she is caught in the cross currents of her adoptive and biological mothers, one a Pennsylvania Quaker, the other a Virginia aristocrat. In addition, in both books, she has a murder to solve.

  One author, living or dead, with whom you'd like to sip Mai Tais on Waikiki Beach:  Fun question. I think I'll pick George Sands. I'd love to hear what she has to say about being a woman writer in her time and what she thinks of ours.

Favorite quote or saying:  Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. -Isaac Newton

About Sandy: 
“I grew up in Missouri, surrounded by a family who loved stories, whether from a book or told on the back porch. I've lived in various cities in different parts of the country but, wherever I've gone, books have been the bridge to new friends. I now live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. If you'd like to know more about me or my books, I invite you to check out my website: http://www.sandracareycody.com. I share my thoughts about writing on two blogs: http://www.avalonauthors.blogspot.com and http://www.birthofanovel.wordpress.com

“Lastly, thanks, Jayne, for having me. This was fun.”

4 comments:

Loretta C. Rogers said...

Sandy, I can relate to so many of your answers. It's amazing how much writers have in common without actually knowing each other. I grew up going to the beach. The waves breaking on the shore is one of the most calming sounds that I enjoy the most. Great answers to great questions. It's nice getting to know more about you.

Sheila Claydon said...

I love Jayne's beach chats. They are such a fun way to get too know our fellow authors. Your answers told us so much about you Sandy.

Having grown up on the coast I can't imagine what it was like not seeing the sea until you were grown, but what a wonderful holiday that must have been.

Fran McNabb said...

I love Janyne's questions and enjoyed your answers.
I love the beach, but last year we stayed in a hotel in Vicksburg and our room faced the MS River. It was great watching the barges and boat traffic.

Sandy Cody said...

Thanks, Loretta, Sheila, and Fran, for taking time to read this and to leave comments. I think any body of water is a living thing and, therefore, fascinating.