Friday, October 12, 2012

Beach Chat with Larissa Reinhart

Social media is a great thing…otherwise how would I discover all these great new humorous mysteries written by up and coming new authors?  Like the woman who stopped by to “chat” today…

Name: Larissa Reinhart

Recommend a Beach Read: This is an old romantic suspense, but has a great “beach” location. Mary Stewart’s THIS ROUGH MAGIC, which takes place on the Greek island of Corfu. Lots of intrigue, a touch of romance, and even has a dolphin!
  
Most cherished beach memory: My family and I lived in Nagoya, Japan, two years ago. We loved living 30 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from the mountains, so we spent plenty of time in both places. At the time my girls were six and four. We celebrated the 4th of July at the beach. I had planned to BBQ and set off fireworks for the children that night. After spending the day lazing on the beach, we got ready to grill and realized it wasn’t allowed on the beach. At dusk, we had to hike across a bay bridge and then carry all our stuff down an embankment next to the water, but it was worth it. The kids had so much fun shooting off fireworks while the dads grilled. Our own little 4th of July celebration in Japan.


       One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:  That’s a hard one! I’d say Agatha Christie, although I can’t imagine her sipping Mai Tais on a beach. I’d probably have more fun with my friend, Terri L. Austin, who also writes humorous mysteries. We’d probably come up with some pretty good stories while people watching. And the Mai Tais won’t hurt either.

Worst non-writing job you ever had: In college I got a job detailing cars. I think I was fired after two weeks because I was such a bad detailer.

Favorite quote or saying: “Don’t ever write a check with your mouth that you can’t cash with your (bottom).” I have problems saying no, so it’s a good one for me to remember!

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): “Love Shack” by the B52s. And if you give me a couple beers first, I’ll have no problem with anyone watching.  (Okay everybody...click on the embedded arrow then get up and DANCE!)


Three of your favorite things: My two girls and my husband.

Two secret vices: Dark chocolate covered edamame from Trader Joes and Real Housewives of New Jersey.

One pet peeve: People who lie on beds with their shoes on. After living in Japan this particularly grosses me out, even when I see it on TV or a movie.

       Bio:  Larissa loves to write small town characters with big attitudes, particularly sassy women with a penchant for trouble. PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY (Henery Press, August 2012) is a 2012 Daphne du Maurier finalist, a 2012 The Emily finalist, and a 2011 Dixie Kane Memorial finalist. When she’s not writing about southern fried chicken, she writes about Asian fried chicken at her blog about life as an ex-expat at theexpatreturneth.blogspot.com. After moving around the Midwest, the South and Japan, she now lives in Georgia with her husband, daughters, and Biscuit, a Cairn Terrier.

About Larissa's book, Portrait of a Dead Guy: 
   In Halo, Georgia, folks know Cherry Tucker as big in mouth, small in stature, and able to sketch a potrtrait faster than buckshot rips from a ten gauge -- but commissions are scarce. So when the well-heeled Branson family wants to memorialize their murdered son in a coffin portrait, Cherry scrambles to win their patronage from her small town rival.     As the clock ticks toward the deadline, Cherry faces more trouble than just a controversial subject. Her rival wants to ruin her reputation, her ex-flame wants to rekindle the fire, and someone's setting her up to take the fall. Mix in her flaky family, an illegal gambling ring, and outwitting a killer on a spree, Cherry finds herself painted into a corner she'll be lucky to survive.

Buy links for Portrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart:
     Amazon Kindle
     B&N Nook
     KOBO
     B&N Paperback

11 comments:

Larissa Reinhart said...

Jayne,
Thanks so much for having me to the beach. I can't tell you how much I needed this little vacation. Down here in Georgia, we can still enjoy some warm days in October and I'm looking forward to chatting with your guests, with a Corona, I mean coffee, in hand!

Jerrie Alexander said...

Great post! The beach, warm water and snorkel gear and I'm a happy woman.

I really enjoyed reading Portrait of a Dead Guy and can't wait for your next book.

Jayne... said...

Larissa, I'm so glad you stopped by! Are you saying it's too early for Corona? Cuz it goes so well with Love Shack Baby! :) Much better than coffee!

Jayne... said...

Jerrie, grab your snorkel gear and come back for a "chat" sometime! Maybe when your book, Green-Eyed Doll, releases iin December?

And I concur, can't wait for Larissa's next book!

Larissa Reinhart said...

Hey Jerrie!
Thanks for your kind words about Portrait &
Thanks for stopping in. I'm taking orders: Corona, Mai Tai, or coffee? I've got Kahlua...

marja said...

I love the beach and miss it terribly now that I live in the desert. The beach is the most relaxing place on earth to me.

Your book sounds terrific!

Larissa Reinhart said...

Hi Marja! I'm so sorry you miss the beach, but I find it ironic that you live in the desert. So it must not be the sand you miss;)
Thanks so much for your kind words about Portrait. Cherry Tucker is fun to write. Hope you enjoy it!

LynDee Walker said...

Great interview, Larissa! Great blog, Jayne! The beach is my favorite place in the whole world, and I enjoyed this snippet of it. Can't wait to see what Cherry gets into next!

Jayne... said...

Larissa, I'll take a Kailua and coffee if you're offering!

Jayne... said...

Marja, I think the dessert is very exotic...guess its a matter of wanting what you don't have huh? :) feel free to send a little warm air our way as its a bit too chilly for my itsy bitsy bikini today!

Jayne... said...

LynDee thanks for stopping by and come back sometime when you have a bit more time to dip your toes in the surf.