Friday, November 30, 2012

Beach Chat with Marilyn Meredith

I’m an author who has one book published and it eats up all my free time, so it’s with a bit of amazement that an author with 30 published books even has time to sit down for a beach chat.  But let’s get chatting so today’s guest can get back to writing! 

Beach chat with: Marilyn Meredith

Recommend a Beach Read:   No Bells by F. M. Meredith, me using a different name. This is the latest in my Rocky Bluff P.D. series, set in a beach town between Ventura and Santa Barbara in Southern California. Every book has something to do with the beat—and murder and other crimes. In No Bells, Officer Gordon Butler finds the love of his dreams, but a big problem arises when she turns out to be the prime suspect in a murder case.

Most cherished beach memory:  I grew up in Los Angeles and going to the beach regularly was part of my childhood. In later years, when I had my own family, we lived 1 mile from the beach and about April, I piled the kids in the car nearly every day and headed to the sand. I loved swimming in the ocean. However, my most cherished beach memory is the trip my sister and I took to Hawaii with my mom when she was 80. Mom watched while sis and I swam in the ocean at Waikiki, Kauai, and Maui. We did plenty of sight-seeing too.

One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:  One of my favorite authors is William Kent Krueger.  I’m not sure that sipping Mai Tais is something I’d feel comfortable doing with him, but he’s a terrific author and a fascinating teacher and one heck of a nice guy. I’ve met his wife too, and it would be fun if they’d join my husband at Waikiki.

Worst non-writing job you ever had: I’ve had many jobs through the years, but I wouldn’t classify any of them as the worst. As a kid I babysat (from 10 years old), did housework for a neighbor, was a telephone operator, taught at a school for child development and a couple of day cares, and my last job that lasted for 20 years was the owner and administrator of a licensed car home. I had to do many difficult chores, lots of cooking and laundry, tons of paperwork, but it was one of the most rewarding jobs I ever had.

Favorite quote or saying: For writers or aspiring writers, write, write, write and don’t give up. My personal favorite is “I’m too blessed to be stressed.”   

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching):  I don’t do much of that anymore, but when I was younger, I loved to jitterbug and would do the steps whenever the right music played. (John Wayne dancing the Jitterbug?  You bectcha.  In the movie The Fighting Seabees, a 1944 war film.  I dare you not to watch this clip!)   

 

Three of your favorite things:   Family (I have a big one), Writing and Reading.

Two secret vices:   None of my vices are secret. I love ice cream and watching General Hospital.

One pet peeve:   People who don’t pay attention and then ask a question about something that was just answered.

Bio/Published works/Links:

F.M. Meredith, also known as Marilyn Meredith, is the author of over thirty published novels—and a few that will never see print. Her latest in the Rocky Bluff P.D. crime series, from Oak Tree Press. As Marilyn Meredith, she is the author of the Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series, Raging Water, is the latest from Mundania Press.

F. M. (Marilyn) is a member of EPIC, Four chapters of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and serves as the program chair for the Public Safety Writers of America’s writing conference. She’s been an instructor at many writing conferences.


No Bells and Raging Water are available in all the usual places.

No comments: