Friday, December 7, 2012

Beach Chat with Teri L. Austin

There is more to today’s beach chat participant than meets the eye.  Not only is she the author of The Rose Strickland Mystery series, but she is also one of the driving forces behind a social group on facebook called The Little READ Hens. Isn’t that a clever name?   Every Wednesday the “hens” introduce a topic on something to do with books, be it characters, settings or childhood favorites.  It’s always a great discussion so be sure and check it out.  WAIT WAIT WAIT, not right this second...you should get to know a bit about her first. So…
Today we’re chatting with:  Terri L. Austin.  And thanks so much for having on Beach Chat today, Jayne! It’s a pleasure to be here.
Recommend a Beach Read:  I’m partial to the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. But if I had a Harry Potter book along, I could be persuaded to read.  
Most cherished beach memory:  Okay Jayne, you’re going to think I’m the saddest person ever, but I went to the beach for the first and only time when I was twenty-five. I tagged along with my husband on a business trip, leaving my baby son with my mom. All I wanted to do was run to the hotel every thirty minutes, call Grandma, and find out how he was. I was pretty miserable.   
One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: Jane Austen. She would be wicked under the influence of Mai Tais. And I could get the real scoop on Mr. Darcy.
Worst non-writing job you ever had:  I sold wedding dresses when I was in college. The term bridezilla hadn’t been invented yet, but the attitude was there, believe me.
Favorite quote or saying:  “Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.” Don’t know who said it, but I love it.
Song that you dance to (when no one is watching):  “I Want You Back” by The Jackson Five. Love the Jackson Five!  (Hold on to your beach hat’s, folks, ‘cuz we’re blasting back to 1969…and a very young Michael Jackson!)     

Three of your favorite things:  My husband (he might balk at being called a thing, but he’ll get over it), my Kindle, and my satellite radio.
Two secret vices:  #1: Reality TV—okay, anyone who knows me realizes this one isn’t so secret. But I can’t get enough. Bad reality TV is my weakness. A D-list celebrity opening up their life to the cameras? I’m all in. Housewives behaving badly? Yes, please. Desperate singles hoping to meet their significant other on a TV show? Pass the popcorn.  #2: If I can find a scary made-for-TV movie from the ‘70’s, I’m in heaven. The cheesier the better. Anyone remember Demon Dog: The Hound From Hell? I do. I’m not saying I’m proud of it …
One pet peeve:  People who drive under the speed limit. Especially on a two lane road. It’s maddening, I tell you!
Bio: Terri L. Austin lives in Missouri with her funny, handsome husband and a high maintenance peekapoo.  She’s the author of Diners, Dives and Dead Ends—a Rose Strickland Mystery. Her second book, Last Diner Standing, will be released December 3rd. 

No comments: