Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Beach Reads: Seasonal Round-Up

Okay, so it's not exactly Beach Read season here in the southern tip of Virgnia.  But it is most definately Curl-Up-With-A-Good-Book season.  So I've rounded-up my 2012 seasonl areads.  All year I snap up books that have to do with a holiday theme and I tuck them away.  Then, as soon as the last Thanksgiving Feast dish is washed, I race for my stash and start reading.  It’s all holiday-themed, all the time, from Thanksgiving Day through Christmas Day. 

I’ve been reading plenty the past few weeks, but not enough time to blog about each one individually.  So in the spirit of the season I thought I’d give you a list of some titles you might like to feast your mind on this season.

1)  First and foremost, the best book to get you in the Holiday Spirit is Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.  If you haven’t read it, and you need a good stress-relieving laugh, go, right now, and get yourself a copy.  While I’ve been unable to find it on any store shelves this season (I know that because I looked, needing a last minute offer for the book club exchange) so you may have to order it or run to the library. But I bet if you ask around your neighborhood, somebody has a copy handy.  If all else fails, it is available for all e-reader platforms (and if you don’t have an e-reader yet, you can download a free program from Amazon for your PC.)  This is not the usual courtroom drama one has come to expect from Grisham, but a lighthearted and yet heartfelt look at how crazy we have let ourselves become over the holiday season.   If you haven’t read the book, you may have seen the movie, Christmas with the Kranks starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis.  But, as always, the book is better! 


2)  You know I’m always looking for a fun, quick read, and Blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews delivered that.  Again, it’s the season that people make them selves crazy in order to have a good time with family, but sometimes that craziness backfires.  So can this Christmas be saved?  It’s a short, fast read, available for order or e-book download.

3)  I thought I’d hit the double bonus in finding a second holiday read by Mary Kay Andrews, and a murder mystery at that!  But I’m sorry to say,  Fatal Fruitcake didn’t deliver.  One, it was too short and appeared to have been too quickly written.  Still, it does deliver enough holiday spirit to make it worth the $0.99 investment in the e-book version.


4)  At the risk of repeating myself (I reviewed this book in detail two weeks ago), The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen will whisk you back to an 1800s English Manor House Christmas, and provide a generous sprinkling of murder and detecting by Her Royal Spyness, Lady Georgiana, thirty-fourth in line for the throne.  Another “MUST READ” for the holiday season. 



5)  And what could possible do more to put yourself in the Christmas Spirit than to read, in his own words, the life story of the big elf himself?  The Autobiography of Santa Claus As told to Jeff Guinn is a well-told perspective as to how the fabeled gift-giver grew from a monk slipping toys to poor children into one of the most recognizable representatives of a kind a charitable spirit in the world.  Nickolaus, born in 280 A.D. in what is now modern-day Turkey, is the narrator of the story and tells how through magic he las lvied for over 2,000 centuries.  This is as much about the history of the world as it is about the history of Santa Claus, and at the end, after it’s all explained (with a little bit attributed to unexplainable “magic”) you will see how the legend has grown.  Great read.  I highly recommend it. 

6)  And now, for the romance readers amongst us, who hasn’t enjoyed a love story protracted by those three playful angels, Shirley, Goodness and Mercy?  Debbie Macomber is back this year with another installment, called Angels at the Table.  Only this time they are accompanied by ill, and angel in training.  This is a great, heart-warming read, like visiting old friends.  It’s also short and quick, because we all know how little time we have to spare during this time of the year.

That wraps up my suggested seasonal readings for 2012.  Any recommendations from you?  Just leave it in the comment section.  I’ll be starting my 2013 stockpile in less than two weeks! 

Wishing all of my readers peace and joy throughout the season.

No comments: