Friday, February 8, 2013

Beach Chat with Ellie Simpson


         Nothing is more exciting to me than pulling up a beach chair and chatting with a debut author.  Today is even more exciting because today’s debut author also happens to be my dear friend and writing partner Ellie Simpson. Miss Ellie, as we call her, is a lively woman who has celebrated her 29th birthday MANY more times than I have, but is very young at heart.  Her debut novella, SPELL BOUND, is a humorous romance centering around the idea of Red Magic, aka spells that fan the flames of love.  I will warn you, though, that it has a pretty high “heat” factor (that's an euphemism for "explicit sex").  So much so that Miss Ellie likes to bill it as “Fifty Shades of Red”, but if you like that kind of story you will certainly enjoy SPELL BOUND.  Enough about her book, right now let’s get to know Miss Ellie.   

Today we’re chatting with: Ellie Simpson

Recommend a Beach Read:  Oh, Lordy.  So many good books, so little time to read!  You’re too smart to see through the transparency of me recommending your book (which is, of course, the definitive Beach Read) so my answer will be STUCK WITH A SPELL by D.D. Scott.  I’m only about ½-way through right now but it’s a lot of fun and involves magic and witches, just like my book!

Most cherished beach memory:  Collecting shells on the beach with my grandkids.  We go at least once a month.  I’ve filled up all the jars in my house and that reminds me, I’m going to have to make a trip to the thrift store to stock up this weekend.     

One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach:  Let me see, now.  Living or dead.   That’s a lot of authors to consider.  You know, I think I’d like to meet Barbara Cartland.  First off, I’m a sucker for an English accent and I’d be happy to sit and listen to her talk and I’d never say a word.  Second, it was one of her books that was the first romance I ever read.  She taught me more about the “magic” of love than any author since. 

Worst non-writing job you ever had: I was raised on a cattle farm in Western Oklahoma.  At about aged ten I got the job of mucking out the horse barn.  Enough said on that topic. 

Favorite quote or saying:  I have a new one every week after watching “Downton Abby”.  This week when Mrs. Padmore said, “Do I look like a frolic-er?” I about fell out of my chair laughing.  I’ve said it at least a dozen times.    

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching):   New York, New York.”  When I hear old blue-eyes start singing, I get the kick-line going. 


Three of your favorite things: 
  • Peanut Butter Parfaits from Dairy Queen;
  • Eiderdown quilts;
  • Walks on the beach with my grandkids. 

Two secret vices: Peanut Butter Parfaits from Dairy Queen and Harlequin Romance Novels (I am a hopeless romantic!).  Combine the two, and it’s bliss defined.    

One pet peeve:  People who say then are going to do something but then never do.  Especially promising a child something they never intend to deliver. 

Bio/Published works/Links:

Ellie Simpson hails from a small town in western Okalahoma, where she raised her family and for 40 years served as the office manager for a second-hand furniture store. When her husband died, Ellie relocated to Tidewater Area of Virginia to be closer to her daughter and grand-children. Ellie is currently ensconced in an 80-year-old Tudor home that is a little bit (but she won’t say how much) older than she is. The house is filled with so many books and trinkets from her travels that the only place she could find to carve out a writing space was in the tiny attic.

When not writing stories full of sex and sizzle, she enjoys going to the BINGO hall with her friends. Under the auspices of “research” for her books, once a year she trips to Vegas for a little gambling and a lot of people watching.

When asked who inspired the character of Memaw in SPELL BOUND, Ellie replies, “Well, I think there’s a little Memaw in all of us, don’t you?”

SPELL BOUND is now available for download to your kindle device by clicking here.  Oh, and it will be FREE to download on starting Sunday thru Valentine’s Day! 

Fans can email Ellie at ALittleRedMagic@gmail.com  

No comments: