Friday, February 15, 2013

Beach Chat with LEIGHANN DOBBS


I doubt any of my faithful blog readers troll the Amazon Bestseller List for Cozies, the way I do.  I’ve seen THE BLOND LEADING THE BLOND climb as high as number six (very exciting for me!) But every time I check (multiple times a day) there is always one author who is at the top of the charts, usually number one with one of her cozy mysteries.  I tried to hate her (not really, more like professional jealousy), but after reading her first book KILLER CUPCAKES, it turns out I really like her!  So I sent her an email and humbly asked if she’d like to stop by for a Beach Chat and she said yes!  So without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to Bestselling Cozy Mystery writer (and my new writer friend) Leighann Dobbs! 

Most cherished beach memory: I grew up in Massachusetts but my mother’s side of the family has had a love for Ogunquit Maine for generations.  If you’ve ever been there, you know it has the most beautiful coastline on the planet.  When I was little, we would rent a cottage up there for two weeks every summer, my mother, my grandmother and I would go up for the full two weeks and my father would join us for one of those weeks.          
           
                   Those were the days! I was totally spoiled by my Mom and Nana-well that is until my sister came along when I was eight.  Some of my fondest memories are of climbing along the rocks down on the beaches off the marginal way (a scenic path along the cliffs of the coastline) at low tide and looking for crabs, snails and other sea creatures or heading over to the “big beach” and looking for sand dollars.  
                   What I remember most though, my fondest memory, is the smell of that Maine beach.  The fresh crisp seaweed and the biting salt air. Whenever I smell that, I feel like I’m 8 years old again.

Recommend a Beach Read: Gosh, there’s so many, but I think I have to say one of my favorite beach reads has got to be Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen.  It’s light, funny and set in Florida - what more could you ask for?

One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: I’d probably pick Agatha Christie.  I’d love to find out more about how her mind works and her knack for writing mysteries. Maybe if I gave her enough Mai Tais, she’d spill some secret to writing memorable characters and intriguing plots. 

Worst non-writing job you’ve ever had: I worked in a deli in high school.  Came home every night smelling like old pastrami.  Got meat and cheese under my fingernails and in my hair.  Cut the tip of my finger off with a meat slicer and gained my lifelong love for cannoli’s there.   OK, the cannoli part isn’t so bad, but the rest of it really stunk.

Favorite quote or saying: “It is what it is.”  Sometimes I have to remind myself that things just are what they are and no amount of worrying will change them.

 Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): I don’t think there’s a particular song, but I love the 80’s hair bands.  Anytime some song from that era comes on I could break out in dance and clear a room in no time. Sometimes my husband catches me doing that at home and he says “Woa..Woa...don’t throw your back out.”
                   The song that’s coming to mind now (I’m almost embarrassed to admit) is Unskinny Bop by Poison.  (ed note:  this is not just jump-up-and-dance music but also requires serious head bobbing!  Enjoy!)


Three of your favorite things: Chocolate, animals and summer.

Two secret vices: Soap operas and heating blankets - I actually use my heating blanket in the summer with my air conditioner cranked up in the bedroom window.  Strange, eh?

One pet peeve: People asking me what I’m going to get a “real job”.

About Leighann:  Leighann Dobbs is the pen name of a not so famous author who lives in New Hampshire with her husband, her trusty Chihuahua mix Mojo and her beautiful rescue cat, Kitty. She likes to write cozy mysteries and romance novelettes and short stories perfect for the busy person on the go. These stories are great for someone who doesn't have a lot of time for reading a full novel. Why not pick one up and escape to another place the next time you are waiting for an appointment, enjoying a bath or waiting to pick up the kids at soccer?  Leighann’s other books in her very popular Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery Series books:

               


1 comment:

Annie Adams said...

Leighann and I have been trading rankings back and forth for a while now on the cozy lists. She's tough competition and her success is well deserved!