Friday, February 22, 2013

Beach Chat with Suzanne Young



Again, I’m happy to have another Amazon Bestselling Mystery Author stop by for a Beach Chat.  After doing my research on yet another writer who continually tops me on the Amazon Cozy charts, I was happy to find a kindred spirit in that we both have ties to the smallest state with the biggest name, Rhode Island and Plantation Providences.  (How many of you living outside of RI know that was the state’s official name?)  Suzanne Young was born and raised in the small town of East Greenwich.  In fact, her first mystery was set in Providence. But there I go babbling on and on again when I know you’re anxious to learn more about Suzanne Young, Mystery Writer.  So pull up your beach chair for a chat with us…

Most cherished beach memory: Digging clams near Chatham Lighthouse (Cape Cod) with my father, late one afternoon. We took them straight back to my aunt's house and had the freshest steamers I can ever remember.


Recommend a Beach Read: There are so many good ones, but two of my favorites are Dorothy Gilman's "Mrs. Pollifax" series and M.C. Beaton's "Hamish MacBeth" series.

One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: Anne George (I love her humor!)

Worst non-writing job you’ve ever had: Administrative secretary to the publisher of a cable TV magazine

Favorite quote or saying: by Bertrand Russell ... "Your writing is never as good as you hoped; but never as bad as you feared."

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" (a real toe-tapper!)



Three of your favorite things: 1) spring bulbs coming up in the springtime, 2) reading by a cozy fire, 3) a hot bubble bath

Two secret vices: They wouldn't be secret anymore if I told.

One pet peeve: People on cell phones while driving a car--especially when there are passengers.

About Suzanne:
          Born and raised in New England, Suzanne Young has worked as a writer, an editor and a computer programmer/analyst since earning her degree in English from the University of Rhode Island in Kingston. Among her publishing credits is the first chapter in POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY, chronicling the evolution of police performance measures in the U.S. A resident of Colorado for over 40 years, Suzanne retired from software development in the fall of 2010 to write fiction full time. A member of Denver Woman's Press Club, Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers and Sisters in Crime, she is also a graduate of the Arvada (Colorado) Citizens Police Academy.
          As for the mystery series ... In her debut, MURDER BY YEW, Rhode Islander Edna Davies, an amateur herbalist, becomes the prime suspect when her handyman dies of taxine poisoning. Nearly certain that she hadn't concocted a poisonous potion and desperate to save herself from arrest, Edna taps into strengths she never before realized she possessed. Shunned by the townsfolk, questioned by the police, and threatened by thieves, she follows the clues of a forty-year-old disappearance to capture a killer.
        
          Second in the series, MURDER BY PROXY finds Edna in Colorado on an errand of mercy where she learns how easily computers might mask someone's death. Challenged to find a missing woman, Edna uncovers more than one murder as she races to prevent another.
  



        In her most recent adventure, MURDER BY MISHAP, Edna is back in Rhode Island where she discovers a valuable heirloom brooch that solves a 50-year-old mystery but precipitates a murder. As she tries to make sense of the killing, Edna realizes more than one person is hiding behind a false identity. She must determine who is friend and who is foe before another person dies.
          Proceeds from Suzanne's book sales help to benefit such causes as Guiding Eyes for the Blind, Angels Unaware (AngelsUnaware.net), and local animal rescue groups.
            Learn more about Suzanne at www.SuzanneYoungBooks.com. Visit the "Signings" page to view photos of past appearances and television interviews.  

7 comments:

Martha Reynolds said...

This is great! Nice to read about Suzanne. I was raised in East Greenwich, too, and now live one town over. With RI roots, Suzanne and I could be related!
Thanks, Jayne, for another great post. Looking forward to reading Suzanne's book.

Suzanne said...

Hi, Martha. Where do you live now that is "one town over"? (Warwick?) We could be related -- or you could know my cousins (Gammons) or my father (Dr. George Young). It's a small state and a small world, for sure.

Auntie Pearl said...

I met Suzanne through Mainly Murder Press, the publisher of our mysteries. Since then I've relied on her to tell me what's what in the digital publishing age. Now I'm going to follow her lead into audio publishing. You might say Suzanne is akamai, which is Hawaiian for "on the ball." She is also generous. Not only that, I love her Edna Davies series. Edna is someone I also depend upon.

PS: I like this blog: interesting questions.

Best regards, Sharon Love Cook, author of A Nose for Hanky Panky, a Granite Cove Mystery

Auntie Pearl said...

PS: Addendum: Yikes! I thought my picture would appear on the comments (above) but it's my Auntie Pearl blog. I abandoned that years ago and here it is following me around, probably through eternity. Matter of fact, I think I'll ask Suzanne how to go about eradicating an old blog. I'll bet she knows the answer. Best, Sharon Love Cook

Bonnie McCune said...

One thing I love about Suzanne's books is they feature an older woman as an amateur detective, showing that we can keep learning and growing even as we age. She also is able to write interesting, compelling plots without resorting to extreme violence or foul language. Bonnie McCune, author, "Heart-Strong"

Jayne... said...

Thanks to all who stopped by and echoed my feelings that Suzanne is a great writer and worthy of her spot at the top of the cozy charts! and small world, huh?

Carol said...

I was surprised to read about Edna walking on Matunuck Beach! My parents graduated from URI in 61 I think and my Dad's family had a beach house there...happy memories. I really enjoyed the bk (Murder by Mishap) and will certainly read the others now.