Sunday, March 31, 2013

Beach Chat with Jennifer Oko



Happy Easter!  We have a special Easter Sunday treat because a nationally acclaimed author is pulling up a beach chair.  Jennifer Oko is currently touring on a Blog Hop (no that doesn't have anything to do with Easter Bunnies, though--it's just a coincidence...) where an author hops around to as many blogs as she can to promote her book. And avid readers that we are, we’re always looking for something new to read, right?  So AFTER you read about Jennifer, click here to be taken to the Cozy Mystery Book Review website and you will find lots of mystery writers touring the blog-o-sphere. And if you want to win a copy of HEAD CASE, just click here to be whisked off to a site offering a contest for those who leave a comment.  But wait just a second before you go rushing off because I know you’re going to want to read about someone who shares the same Beach-read-recommendations and dance-to-the-music gene as yours truly.  Read on!   

Today we're chatting with:  Jennifer Oko.

Hi Jayne! Thank you for hosting me. I must say, you ask some slyly tricky questions. This was a lot of fun! 

Most cherished beach memory:  In college, a few friends and I drove through the night to watch the sunrise from a Cape Cod beach. I remember lying there in the sand, completely exhausted and utterly awed.



Recommend a Beach Read: I don’t like being terrified on the beach, but I do like a fun page-turner. I’d recommend any one of Lisa Lutz’s Spellman books (though probably best to start at the beginning). (editor’s note:  I heartily echo this recommendation!  You can’t help but chortle, snork and  guffaw when you read The Spellman Files.)


One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: Ha! I actually tweeted this question out, asking for help because it stumped me! But I figured it out! I would love to hang out with Agatha Christie. I just found out that she was one of the first Britons to try surfing! Maybe she could teach me a thing or two. 

Worst non-writing job you ever had: I got fired from a couple of waitressing jobs when I was in college, so even though I didn’t think the jobs were so terrible, apparently the restaurant owners thought I was! 


Favorite quote or saying: The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes. — Agatha Christie  

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): Okay, sort of embarrassing, but my seven-year-old can’t get enough of Psy’s "Gangnam Style," and his love for the dance is infectious. But you REALLY don’t want to see me doing it. (editor’s note:  I heartily echo this danceable-to tune! I even danced to it WHILE people were watching at the St. Paddy’s Day party a few weeks ago!)


Three of your favorite things:
  • Warm chocolate chip cookies. 
  •  Snuggling with my kids.
  • My eReader!

Two secret vices:
          1. I buy a large chocolate chip cookie on my way home from work every single day.
          2. I always eat the whole thing.
 


One pet peeve:  Misused semi-colons.


ABOUT Jennifer’s Latest book, head case
     Imagine if a ghost could tell you the story of her own murder by taking you into the minds of the people who were there at the scene of the crime. Well, this one can. Sort of.
     Introducing Olivia Zack. She's a neuroscientist, a pharmaceutical consultant...and a murder victim on a quest to discover how and why she died.
HEAD CASE is a new, exciting and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny mystery from an author whose work has been called "SIMPLY RIVETING" by The New York Times and "SHARP AND FAST-PACED" by Publisher's Weekly. It's like Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones meets Carl Hiaasen's Nature Girl (with a dash of Janet Evanovich's One for the Money) as Olivia embarks on a postmortem quest to deconstruct the remarkable events that lead up to her mind-altering death.
     A comic satire of the influence of the psychopharmaceutical industry on American life, HEAD CASE takes Olivia and her estranged friend and roommate Polly Warner on a collision course involving ethically challenged executives, spotlight-hungry celebrities, third-rate mobsters and drug-dealing babushkas. A smart and savvy page-turner, HEAD CASE explores the meaning of personal relationships, emotional intelligence, and mental health while taking the reader on a synapse-stirring, neurotransmitting rollicking ride.

You can enter to win a copy of HEAD CASE by clicking here.  Good luck!

More about Jennifer Oko:

     Jennifer Oko’s first book, Lying Together: My Russian Affair (written under her maiden name, Jennifer Beth Cohen), was published in 2004 and received numerous positive reviews. The New York Times Book Review called Lying Together “riveting” and twice named it an Editors’ Choice. The San Francisco Chronicle raved, saying it was “a heady cocktail” and “a quick, juicy read.”
     Her second book, a satirical novel about morning television news entitled Gloss, was a Marie Claire “pick of the month” in 2007 and chosen as a “hot summer read” by USA Today.
     Currently working as a freelance writer and media consultant, Jennifer is a “recovering” journalist and award-winning television news producer. A graduate of Columbia University’s Journalism School, her career has taken her across the country and around the world. She now lives with her husband and two young children in Washington, DC.

No comments: