Friday, April 26, 2013

Beach Chat: with Judith Ivie

Okay, so what can be  better than being a mystery writer?  I mean you get to kill off your enemies, (in the literary sense, that is), stay in your pajamas until 4 p.m., eat as much chocolate as you want (all in the name of keeping the muse happy) and visit the OBX (Outer Banks of NC) for inspiration (hmmm, does that qualify it for a tax write off?) But, there is one thing better, though, and that is being both a mystery writer and a mystery  publisher!  Today’s guest is living that life. I know you are as excited to get to know a real writer/publisher as I am, so let’s get on with the chat…

Today we’re chatting with:  Judith Ivie

Most cherished beach memory:  The first time my husband and I took the 20-second walk over a beachfront sand dune on Okracoke, a North Carolina island reachable only by ferry, and were confronted by miles of gorgeous Atlantic Ocean and empty beach as far as we could see.

Recommend a Beach Read:  My earliest fave was Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddon, first published in 1991. Siddon is a wonderful writer, of course, and she painted such an intriguing picture of the outer reefs of North Carolina that I was moved to visit there. My family and I have returned many times since. Currently I favor almost anything by Elin Hilderbrand, whose books are set on Nantucket Island off the coast of New England. If I had to pick just one, I’d choose The Blue Bistro.


One author, living or dead, with whom you’d like to sip Mai Tais on Waikiki BeachJohn D. MacDonald, whose Travis McGee series set in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, showcased honesty and decency but spiced them up with good, old-fashioned revenge for McGee’s clients, who had been used and abused.

Worst non-writing job you’ve ever had:  All of them! I worked for 45 years as a public relations flack, executive assistant, publications manager–oh, too many jobs to mention, and I loathed each and every one of them. I was always meant to be self-employed, which I’m delighted to say I have been since I launched my mystery publishing company, Mainly Murder Press, four years ago. The dues I paid as a mystery writer before then have been well worth it.

Favorite quote or saying: No good deed goes unpunished (but I keep doing them anyway).

Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): “Miss DJ” by Hall & Oates … “She’s got a groove that will make you feel funky …”

Three of your favorite things: Gracie Allen, my ditzy ginger cat … really good tiramisu … almost any kind of music except improvisational jazz and rap

Two secret vices: Watching cooking shows, playing Literati on line

One pet peeve: Just one?! Oh, man. Well, waiting in line would probably top my list – grrrr! Thank goodness for my Kindle, which travels everywhere with me and keeps me civil (mostly).

Bio/Published works/Links:
  
         A lifelong Connecticut resident, I have worked in public relations, advertising, sales promotion, and the international tradeshow industry. Along the way I also produced three nonfiction books, as well as numerous articles and essays. In 2006 I broadened my repertoire to include fiction, and the popular Kate Lawrence Mystery series, set in historic Wethersfield, Connecticut, was launched. All are published by Mainly Murder Press in trade paperback, and they are available as e-books and audiobooks at a variety of online sites. Whatever the genre, my goal is to provide lively, entertaining reading that takes readers away from their work and worries for a few hours, stimulates thought on a variety of contemporary issues-and gives them a laugh along the way. For more information about me and my books, please visit www.JudithIvie.com

Published Works:
          All five of my Kate Lawrence Mysteries, set in Old Wethersfield, Connecticut, are available in trade paperback (www.MainlyMurderPress.com), e-book (www.Amazon.com, www.UntreedReads.com and almost anywhere else you can think of) and audiobook formats (www.Amazon.com,
www.Apple.com – iTunes, www.Audible.com). Here are the specifics on each title in the series:

Waiting for Armando
Kate Lawrence Mystery #1
Paperback ISBN 978-0-615-27168-2
E-book ISBN 978-0-9881944-5-8





Murder on Old Main Street
Kate Lawrence Mystery #2
Paperback ISBN 978-0-615-27167-5
E-book ISBN 978-0-1944-6-5





A Skeleton in the Closet
Kate Lawrence Mystery #3
Paperback ISBN 978-0-615-26899-6
E-book ISBN 978-0-1944-7-2





Drowning in Christmas
Kate Lawrence Mystery #4
Paperback ISBN 978-0-9825899-7-7
E-book ISBN 978-0-1944-8-9




Dying Wishes
Kate Lawrence Mystery #5
Paperback ISBN 978-0-9846666-4-5
E-book ISBN 978-0-9846666-7-6

No comments: