Friday, May 3, 2013

Beach Chat with Sharon Love Cook


You know me and my love for a good cozy…add a dash of humor and a few helpful household hints (á la Heloise) and it’s a recipe for a good read! My pre-search (that’s my made-up word of the day, to indicate research done in advance of contacting the author) had me laughing out loud at here cartoons portraying a grown up Nancy Drew and other mystery-related single-panel comics.  She also writes greeting cards (you may have purchased or received one and didn't realize it) and in her free time is a stand-up comedienne   Are you ready to laugh?  Of course!  So let’s head on down to the beach and get talking with this jack-of-all-comic-trades…

Today we’re chatting with: Sharon Love Cook

Recommend a Beach Read: I recently attended the Love is Murder writers conference in Chicago and met Elizabeth Duncan, whose The Cold Light of Mourning won the Malice Domestic Best First Traditional Mystery Novel Competition. After talking with her, I went out and grabbed the book (first paying for it) and liked that a lot. The setting is Wales, where the author visits annually.

Most cherished beach memory: My siblings and I spent our summers at Long Beach in Rockport, Massachusetts, a beach colony. We were in the ocean so much we should have grown fins. We went barefoot all summer, eating nothing but peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwiches, sprinkled with sand. Growing up, it was a paradise for kids. Matter of fact, the setting for my short story, "Bluefish Weather," is Long Beach.   
One author, living or dead, with whom you'd like to sip Mai Tais with on Waikiki Beach: I don't mean to sound like a gasbag, but when I was single I lived at Waikiki Beach. It was the hippy era, late '60s, and my brother had gone to Hawaii to surf and sleep on the beach as they--the young people--were doing at the time. I quit my job (well, first I was fired; it was the '60s, after all) and planned to join him. The day before I was scheduled to leave, he came home. Calling me would have been too expensive, he claimed. I went anyway and got a job taking photos of the tourists in night clubs. The author I'd like to sip Mai Tais with? John O'Hara, although I understand he liked scotch. 

Worst non-writing job you've ever had: Packing fish as a teenager in my hometown of Gloucester, Mass. My sister and I did that one summer. We weren't very good at it. The foreman would often stop the conveyor belt to yell at us because we were so slow. On more than one occasion we'd lose a rubber glove in a box we were packing and just put a cover on it and send it on its way. It was a tough crowd at the fish plant. The ladies' room had no doors. 
Favorite quote or saying: "It's never too late to become what you might have been." George Eliot 
Song that you dance to (when no one is watching): Rod Stewart's Maggie Mae.

Three of your favorite things: Peanut butter, my cats, cartooning. 
Two secret vices: playing pranks, and stockpiling Sweet 'n Low from restaurants. In case of a natural or man made disaster, I'm ready!
One pet peeve: People who are "passionate" about everything from artichokes to arch supports. Enough with the passion.
More about Sharon Love Cook:
Sharon L. Cook is a graduate of Montserrat College of Art, Salem State University and Bennington College. She is a writer and cartoonist, an occasional standup comic, and VP of the Friends of Beverly Animals (FOBA). She lives in Beverly Farms, MA with her husband Oliver and small herd of (rescued) cats.  Learn more about Sharon by visiting her website, http://www.sharonlovecook.com/ 

No comments: