Friday, February 7, 2014

Beach Chat with Maggie King

“Birds of a feather, flock together,” they say, and I’m finding that especially true for the Virginia is for Mysteries anthology.  The more I get to know the authors, the more alike I find we are, even though our mysteries are very, very different. Today’s beach chat guest wrote a story that is set in the Kent-Valentine home in Richmond, which also happens to be the headquarters of the Garden Club of Virginia. So old historical home and garden club…what’s not to like? Be sure and check out “A Not So Genteel Murder” in the anthology, but wait, first lets get to know the author.

Today we’re chatting with:  Maggie King

       Recommend a Beach Read:  Any title in MC Beaton’s Agatha Raisin series. She’s fun! And I remember a long-ago afternoon lazing on the beach in Santa Barbara with a Margaret Truman page-turner in hand. I also suggest anything by Jo Dereske, Michael Connelly, and Robert Crais.

       Most cherished beach memory: Trinity Beach in Northern California, January, 1995. It was just after a storm. The sun broke through dark, dramatic clouds that swept across the sky (think 50 shades of gray but in a much different context). Driftwood littered the beach. The incredible beauty and drama took my breath away.  


Author I would like to sip Mi Tais with:  Rhys Bowen, author of the Evan Evans, Molly Murphy, and Lady Georgiana series. I met her several years ago at a signing and she couldn’t have been nicer. It would be a pleasure to spend time with her. The Central Virginia Sisters in Crime chapter will visit her via Skype on April 12, 2014.

Worst non-writing job I ever had: As a software developer with a Los Angles entertainment company. Let’s just say I wasn’t entertained. Judging by the turnover others weren’t either.

Favorite quote or saying:   "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." Matthew, 17:20

Song that you dance to when no one else is watching: I have so many, but the first one that pops up in my head is “I’m Still Standing”  by Elton John (Ed note:  Come on, you wanna dance too, I know!)

Three of your favorite things:  Spending time with my husband and best friend, Glen; a good book; a cat in my lap.

Two secret vices: I guess they won’t be secrets after this! I try to eat healthy but can’t resist pizza or a really good hamburger. And if I don’t watch out, social media could become a vice.
 
One pet peeve: My peeve of the moment is texting/talking during concerts and                      movies. I know, I know, it’s a “generational thing!”

Bio/Publishing Credits/Contact Links:  Maggie King grew up in North Plainfield, New
Jersey, graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology, and worked as a software developer in Los Angeles for many years. Her debut mystery, Murder at the Book Group, comes out December 16, 2014 from Simon and Schuster. Her short story, A Not So Genteel Murder, was published in the Virginia is for Mysteries anthology. Maggie is a founding member of the Central Virginia Sisters in Crime chapter where she currently serves as Recording Secretary. She lives in Richmond, Virginia with her husband, Glen, and cats, Morris and Olive.






2 comments:

Mary Gabler Dennis said...

So nice to think of beach reads during this nasty winter. I can't wait for warm weather. I am going to look into some Margaret Truman books.
Do you think that you might write a mystery involving the beach and some of your memories? I heard Venice and Santa Monica beaches are quite interesting.

Jayne... said...

Blogger is being it's usual difficult self so Maggie King asked me to respond to the previous comment, so here is what Maggie says...

"Mary, yes those California beaches are interesting and I’m sure they’ll make it into a story. Maybe you can join me on a visit there for research. You can be a
character"