Friday, February 24, 2017

JUST BEACH-Y, An interview with mystery writer Heather Weidner

Today we begin our quest to learn a little more about the writing habits and favorite beach things of authors contributing to the soon-to-be-released 50 Shades of Cabernet  anthology, featuring a mystery, and a glass (or more) of wine. Today’s guest is Heather Weidner, whom I met via our Virginia is for Mysteries, volumes I and II association.  Her entry into the 50 Shades anthology is “Par for the Course.”  

Q. What kind of stories do you write?
A. I write mysteries with humorous elements.

Q.  What is your writing routine?
A.  I’m a binge writer. I work full-time, so I write early in the morning, on my lunch break, and evenings and weekends. I try to write something every day, but I’m not always successful.

Q.  Do you use real or fictional settings in your stories?
A.  All of my settings to date are real places. I usually write what I know. I’ve lived in Virginia all my life. I love that the beach, mountains, and metropolitan cities are all within driving distance. Though my stories are set in real places, if something gruesome happens, I always make sure that it’s a fictional place.

Q. Have you ever written a beach scene?
A. I have. My short story, “Washed up,” in Virginia is for Mysteries is set at Chick’s Beach next to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Q. Suggest a snack that pairs nicely with your latest release.
A. My private eye, Delanie Fitzgerald, and her partner, Duncan Fitzgerald, have a penchant for junk food. So chips and queso are always a good snack.

Q. Suggest a wine that pairs nicely with a seaside sunset.
A. Any kind of Pinot goes nicely with a sunset.

Q. Favorite meal when visiting a beach location
A. For some reason, seafood tastes better when you’re at the beach. I love any kind of shrimp.

Q. Favorite beach activity (reminder this is a G-rated blog)
A. In college, we would go down to the Virginia Beach oceanfront at night and play tag football in the sand. I have so many good memories of the beach. Long beach walks are also another of my favorite activities.

Q. Favorite song to Shag Dance to (if only in your mind…)
A. Anything by the Temptations, Four Tops, the Catalinas, or Bill Deal and the Rhondels.

Q. Last time you wore flip flops.
A. I grew up in Virginia Beach. I will always be a beach girl. I wear my flip flops year-round (in the house).


More About Heather:
     Heather Weidner’s short stories appear in the Virginia is for Mysteries series and 50 Shades of Cabernet (March 2017). She is a member of Sisters in Crime – Central Virginia, Guppies, Lethal Ladies Write, and James River Writers. Secret Lives and Private Eyes is her debut novel.
     Originally from Virginia Beach, Heather has been a mystery fan since Scooby Doo and Nancy Drew. She lives in Central Virginia with her husband and a pair of Jack Russell terriers.
     Heather earned her BA in English from Virginia Wesleyan College and her MA in American literature from the University of Richmond. Through the years, she has been a technical writer, editor, college professor, software tester, and IT manager.

Connect with Heather:
Amazon Authors: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00HOYR0MQ


1 comment:

Heather Weidner said...

Thanks so much for letting me visit!