Thursday, December 30, 2021

SAUERKRAT FOR BREAKFAST? An Unusual New Year's Day Tradition

Oh, the trials and tribulations of being raised under the heavy mantle of family traditions. My mother, of German heritage, insisted that the first thing to pass our lips in the new year was a bite of sauerkraut. Easy for her, as she partied while the clock struck midnight and washed down her nibble of GOOD LUCK with (many) sips of the bubbly. Those of us early-to-bedders (at the insistence of a mean babysitter!) had the misfortune of being served sauerkraut for breakfast. Trust me when I say it does not pair well with Cap’n Crunch. Hence, my lifelong avoidance of sauerkraut (unless it tops a thick Ruben sandwich, and then only sparingly!)

After the past two political/pandemic-heavy years, it seems as if we could all use a little luck. Time to (reluctantly) reinstate mom’s tradition and see if that helps. As I researched ways to cook/serve fermented shredded cabbage that didn’t involve breakfast cereal (as the chances of me being awake at midnight are slim to none), I learned a little bit about from whence the tradition came.

The “lucky” connection stems from the fact that cabbage is round (thought to be lucky) and green (associated with financial prosperity). Sauerkraut itself is said to signify happiness and the promise of a new life. But there is also a logical component to this tradition. In Europe, cabbage was harvested in late fall and then shredded and put into barrels to ferment. When winter hit, they tapped the barrels, providing people with a good source of Vitamin C throughout those frigid months when fresh produce was not available. Hence the long-life connection.

Still, it’s fermented cabbage. Not my favorite. But I’m willing to take one for the team this year.

Additional research revealed another Dutch tradition with Germanic roots is to welcome in the new year by eating oliebollen, whose literal translation is Oily Balls. (Caution: I tried to research Oily Balls. Trust me when I say do NOT do this yourself. I, as a trained writing professional, did this and the results were more than disturbing. I shudder to think what my internet cookies will share with my social media feeds regarding my “interests”. But then again as a mystery writer my browsing history is filled with research on poisons and how to hide dead bodies, etc…but I digress…)  Oliebollen are small donuts topped with currents. According to a New York Post article on New Year’s Foods they are said to ward off the pagan goddess Perchta. She was an evil one, who “would fly through the skies during Yule and slice open the bellies of disobedient tribespeople. Anyone who had eaten oliebollen, however, was spared, as Perchta’s sword would slide off their full, greasy bellies." I like donuts. But I like not having my belly sliced open even more. I am happy to embrace this tradition. 

In addition to having a part German heritage, I am working on earning my “southerner” badge. We’ve lived here for most of my adult life, and I can “all y’all” with the best of them. It might be time for me to explore the lucky foods associated with the area.
One of the most popular are “Greens”, be they collard, turnip, or mustard. Being green they are associated with money. Money means prosperity. But I think a taste for “greens” is built into the southern DNA. I’m a mid-westerner. ’Nuff said.

Then there are beans, very popular here in the south as it seems they grow as abundantly as greens. Black-eyed peas (technically beans) are considered extra lucky. Why? Glad you asked. There exists a theory that Union Soldiers ate their way through the south devouring everything but the black-eyed peas. Locals survived after the war by eating them. Pretty lucky, huh?

Combine the beans with greens and cornbread, and you’ll have the trifecta of Southern luck. “Peas for pennies, greens for dollars, and cornbread for gold.” 

Other countries have interesting New Year’s Eve food traditions, some more palatable than others. But here's a short list of things I am willing to try this year:

  • Spain: Grapes (not the fermented kind!) Twelve of them, one for each stroke of midnight portending each month of the year.
  • Japan: Toshikoshi Sobo noodles. (Long sobo noodles signal longevity.)
  • Mexico: Tamales. (Families traditionally come together to make them and thus they represent generational ties.)
  • Greece: Ring-shaped cakes. (Symbol of coming full circle.)

It seems I have plenty of options to eat my way to good health and fortune on New Year’s Day. As for universally accepted beverages to accompany my food? Champagne, of course.

Cheers to the New Year! May 2022 be an extraordinary one! 



No comments: