Thursday, September 1, 2022

TO PUMPKIN SPICE, OR NOT TO PUMPKIN SPICE...THAT IS THE QUESTION

<<I stay away from controversial subjects, as a rule. But today I'm going to stir the pot.>>

Labor Day Weekend is upon us. The official end of summer (well, technically not until September 22 but, you know, everything is rushed now-adays) so ready or not, here we go. 

Thanks to Starbucks, Pumpkin Spice everything has become the new harbinger of fall. And it has arrived. In full spicy-scented force. 

For the record, Starbucks did not INVENT Pumpkin Spice, they just exploited it. In 2003 they launched the Pumpkin Spice Latte. The “spice” itself is merely a combination of flavors traditionally used to season pumpkin pies: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. McCormick first sold that specific combination in a little jar in 1934. Variations of this combination have been found in cookery books as far back as the late 1700s. So to say it's something “new”, you could not be more wrong.

What is new is the explosion of Pumpkin Spice foodstuffs that are created, all under a “limited edition/seasonal” banner that are only available a few months out of each year. Get 'em now before they're gone!

I did a quick search and was shocked (shocked, I tell you) how many Pumpkin Spice seasonal offerings there are. Here’s a list of products I found interesting and may (or may not) try in October (I eschew all Pumpkin Spice products until there is frost on the pumpkins.) Note: this list is not meant to be all-inclusive. That would exceed my blog word allotment. (Yes, it is that crazy out there in Pumpkin Spice world.) Here you go:

  • Pumkin Spice Goldfish Grahams (in partnership with Dunkin Donuts)
  • Pumpkin Spice Oreos
  • Pumpkin Spice Milano Cookies (I did try last year—in the name of research, of course—and can recommend!)
  • Hostess Iced Pumpkin Cupcakes
  • Pillsbury Grands Pumpkin Spice rolls
  • Pumpkin Spice Twinkies
  • Pumpkin Spice Cheerios
  • Pumpkin Spice Special K cereal
  • Pumpkin Spice Frosted Mini Wheats cereal
  • Pumpkin Spice Whipped Dairy Topping
  • Pumpkin Spice Almonds
  • Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Covered Pretzels (again…researched…recommend)
  • Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows
  • Pumpkin Spice Donuts
  • Pumpkin Spice Hummus
  • Pumpkin Spice Mac and Cheese (??? Seriously???)
  • Pumpkin Spice spirits
  • And…are you ready for this? Pumpkin Spice Spam!

Turns out there is no such thing as official Pumpkin Spice Wine. Trust me, I’ve looked. But there are many recipes for homemade pumpkin wine (with nary a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg!)  Give it a try and report back, please.  

Many people eschew all things Pumpkin Spice…some on principle, some because they just don’t like the taste. But it’s not something you can hide from. It has invaded every corner of our daily Autumn lives. I think--but have no proof--that some stores pipe the aroma into the air to make us buy more Pumpkin Spice products!  Face it. Pumpkin Spice is hard (no, impossible!) to ignore.

So, my question today (and where the controversial part comes in…) from that list, how many do you intend to consume this fall? Is there something else not on the list that you would recommend? I would hate to miss out on a tasting. 

And are you a Holiday Season purist and don’t want to even think about Pumpkin Spice anything until October or maybe even delay until November?

This marketing gimmick has spawned an entire seasonal industry. But there are worse things we must endure at the hands of the marketing machines. Like Christmas decorations in stores in September (but that’s another rant for another day!)  



5 comments:

Max Jason Peterson said...

I love, love, love all things pumpkin spice (and Halloween!). I wish they would extend pumpkin spice at least through January! Thanks for the great list :)

Jayne Ormerod said...

Adele, I'm glad someone loves it! I like some things but not all. Based on my very unscientific poll it's about a fifty-fifty split! Enjoy the season!

Penny H said...

I love homemade pumpkin desserts. One of my favorites is pumpkin cheesecake. Talk about decadent! I suppose they all have some of that “spice” in there, but to me it’s more about the pumpkin than the spice. It’s just not Thanksgiving without something pumpkin and something cranberry to eat. Then, I’m through until next year.

Jayne Ormerod said...

Penny H I agree. It just ain't Thanksgiving without some pumpkin. Tis the season! Enjoy!

Yvonne Saxon said...

I believe I’ll pass on the pumpkin spice hummus and mac and cheese! However, the fall donuts were on the shelves (and promptly bought and eaten) in August, so I guess I’m not a purist. My favorite pumpkin spice products are homemade: pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and coffee. Yea fall!