Thursday, October 27, 2022

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…A TRUE(ISH) TALE OF ALL HALLOWS' EVE EVE…


’Twas the night before Halloween and a thick fog rolled in.  So thick, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face, let alone the lamppost whose black paint had faded to a mottled grey, thanks to the constant sandblasting by the wind off the Chesapeake Bay.  So that’s how I ended up in the ER, with a goose egg on my forehead, on account of I’d been running, and smacked right into the damned thing.  “Why were you running in the fog?” one might ask. A valid question.

I’d had a phone call about seven p.m.  “A wine emergency,” my friend Riley Wilson proclaimed. Riley was eight-and-one-half months pregnant.  (Don’t ask me to convert that to weeks…I birthed my babies when everything was calculated in trimesters, not days) and for obvious reasons she’d sworn off all things alcoholic.  So at the end of her terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day, she called me to drink the wine for her.  That’s my motto, “I drink for those who can’t.”  I’m a good friend that way.

So off I’d galloped through the fog to Riley’s house.  Only I never made it, on account of me running into the pole. I ended up with the aforementioned goose egg on my head. Collateral damage included a bruised coccyx and a sprained wrist (a result of me saving the wine instead of myself—a girl’s gotta have priorities!) So instead of my Trick or Treat costume of a cute kitten carrying a saucer of milk, I ended up dressing as a bandaged–up mummy carrying a glass of pinot grigo. Things happen for a reason, I guess.

Halloween’s rolling around again in a few days (where has 2022 gone????) so I offer the following toast to all those who celebrate…


Here’s to the Witches,
Here’s to their cats,
Here’s to the hoot owls
And Whirring bats;
Here’s to the ghosties,
In robes of white,
Here’s to the thrills of
Hallowe’en night.
        [Sourced to Hallowe'en Merry Makers 1930 via Hortip.com]

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, Y'ALL...and watch out for those pesky lampposts!

2 comments:

Yvonne Saxon said...

I really enjoyed this! Another reason to not go out in the dark on a foggy night! Especially Halloween! ��

Anonymous said...

Your stories never disappoint!