Thursday, June 17, 2021

SWEET KINDNESS


On the occasion of a recent celebration on my behalf, a dear friend contacted a woman who not only makes the best sugar cookies, she also specializes in custom decorations. My friend ordered two dozen cookies, telling the baker that I am a writer and suggesting she decorate them with writerly things like quills or a typewriter or other icons that represent my love for creating stories. The baker asked my name and my friend shared Jayne Ormerod. Isn’t that a thoughtful surprise?

When my friend picked up the cookies, the baker was so excited to share her beautiful creations reflecting images of my book covers. The sweet woman had gone above and beyond to look up my writerly profile and decorate the cookies accordingly. Isn’t that a delightful gesture?

My friend opened the box to find two-dozen beautifully decorated sugar cookies. So, faithful readers, did you recognize any of these covers at the top of this post? Nope? Neither did my friend. Her first thought was, I thought I’d read all of Jayne’s books, but I guess I missed a few. Nope, she’s read everything I’ve ever written. (Isn’t she a wonderful friend?)  

It turns out there is another writer out there, Jane (no “y”) Ormerod, who is also an author. Only the no-y Jane is a poet, has an MA in Creative Writing, is originally from England and now lives in NYC. Isn’t that a weird coincidence?

I will vouch for the cookies. The were soft and delicious. And beautifully decorated. Had I had the no-y Jane Ormerod’s address, I would have boxed up a few and sent them to her. As it turned out, I had to eat most of them myself (I did share a few with family and friends.)

Now isn’t that a funny story? And it’s all true.

Wishing you some sweet kindness this weekend.

No comments: