Monday, September 25, 2017

BEACH BASH--Celebrating National One-Hit Wonder Day

It's amazing to me what all is on our National Days calendar, celebrating fun, unusual or forgotten designations on our annual calendar.  It's fun to follow, and every now and then I plan to jump in and celebrate with everyone. Here is my first Beach Bash... 
Sirius music source is seriously making me listen to music in a whole new way.  Especially when making two long trips with hubby over the summer.  Hubby is the KING of music trivia, or so he thinks. With more than 2,000 miles under our tires, I got a lot of trivia. He knows who sang just about every hit song.  Me? If it wasn’t The Partridge Family, then I didn’t know, or even care.  (For the record, we listened to classic music exclusively growing up but we were allowed to watch Friday Night TV! It opened up a whole new musical world for me, and my mother who liked to listing to David Cassidy while doing housework.  But that's another topic for another day!)

          During the Summer of ’17 I learned that many of my favorite 60s and 70s songs were One-Hit Wonders, or songs whose bands topped the Top 40 charts only once in their entire careers.  According to Wikipedia (my source for all things non-sensical) there were almost 400 during the 60s alone!  

And it just so happens that today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!
Combining the National Day and my beach-themed blog, I arrived at the perfect blog topic…one-hit wonders with a beach theme. <<Brilliant, right?>>
I searched and searched, but could only find one.  “Beach Baby” by First Class hit #4 on Billboard Top 40 in 1974. Remember the lyrics? 
“Beach Baby, Beach Baby, there on the sand

From July to the end of September…”

It seemed too coincidental to pass up, this being the end of September and all.  
So for your listening and viewing pleasure, take a trip back to 1974 and watch First Class sing “Beach Baby.”  And feel free to sing along with them.


          And good luck getting those lyrics out of your head.  Happy National One Hit Wonder Day to all!


No comments: