Monday, November 12, 2018

OUR FAVORITE BEACH THINGS with Jayne

I've invited my fellow To Fetch a Thief authors to share some of their favorite beach things. Today I'm featuring myself!  Here we go . . .



Favorite beach activity: Walking. Nothing better than a barefoot stroll along the shore,  waves sneaking up and tickling your feet and ankles. Birds squawking overhead. Kiddos building castles in the sand. Sunshine on your face and arms. It doesn't get any better than it.

Favorite beach song: Under the Boardwalk. “On a blanket with my baby, that’s where I’ll be!” ’Nuff said.

Favorite beach beverage: Cool, crisp, fruity Sangria!

Favorite beach read: Oh, that’s not fair. My list of favorite books is sooooo long. But if I had to pick one to read at the beach, I’d have to go with anything by Mary Kay Andrews. Her latest, The High Tide Club, added a bit of mystery to it.  Loved it!

Favorite beach memory: At the tender age of 12 my son was bitten by the Surfing Bug.  Not unusual for people who live near the shore.  A little rarer for people like us who lived an hour away.  It was a problem because he could only surf when I drove him, sat there on the beach, and then drove him home when he was done (hours later.)  He caught me in a week moment one balmy summer’s morn and I agreed to a day at the beach.  I grabbed a beach towel, beach chair, beach cooler and the book I was currently reading, The Great Gatsby by Ernest Hemingway (a much more interesting read as an adult than a high school student!)  I sat and lost myself in the world of Long Island in the summer of 1922.  Needing to flip myself for the even tan, I paused and looked out over the waves.  I spotted a lone surfer, my son, with fins to the left of him and fins to the right.  He was surfing amidst a pod of dolphins!  It was the coolest thing ever! For both of us!

Favorite beach restaurant: Again, tough choice!  It pretty much comes down to ambiance (I’m not a huge seafood eater.) Probably my favorite is California Dreaming in Charleston, SC. Choice is based on memories of great meals with families and friends, while watching sunsets over the Ashley River. Food’s good, too!

Favorite beach scene in a movie or TV show: I loved It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World,  at the end when they were looking for the big W, and were standing beneath palm trees that (spoiler alert) formed a W, which is what everyone had been looking for. A funny movie I have fond memories of watching as a family on a 13” black and white TV! It wasn’t until I was an adult that I saw it in color. (Oops, I think my age may be showing there . . .)

Favorite item to tuck in your beach bag: A book! Preferably something light and funny that doesn’t require much concentration, in the event I doze off in the sun or decide to run down to where the waves meet the sand and jump in the blue water to cool off.

Favorite beach saying: "Life’s a Beach!"

Favorite beach to visit (even if only in your imagination): Coronado, California. Clear, blue skies; wide, sandy beaches; cool, sparkling ocean; statuesque palm trees; sumptuous mansions lining the street. Ending an afternoon stroll watching the sun set over the Pacific while sipping cocktails on the deck of the Hotel Del. Relaxing. Inspiring. Idyllic. Perfection. 



Jayne is the author of "It's a Dog Gone Shame", in our latest anthology To Fetch a Thief. You can read more about the stories, to include an excerpt, and learn more about Jayne at www.muttmysteries.com 

No comments: