Monday, September 5, 2011

Beach Tale: What's in a Name?


Despite the fact we live within a flip-flop’s throw of the scenic Narragansett Bay, when it came time for us to plan a family vacation we opted for a relaxing week at the beach.  Destination:  Sandbridge, a slip of sand just south of Virginia Beach, Virginia.  It really is a “get away from it all” kind of place, as while there are miles and miles of beach and bay and houses and condos galore, there is only one small grocery store, one small restaurant and a few small shops within walking/biking distance.  Anything else, you have to get in the car and drive.  It really is the perfect “get away from it all” place.  But what intrigued me most was the names of the “cottages” (some that sleep as many as 30 people!) Being a writer, I always enjoy a good play on words.    Here are some of my favorites: 

A Bay From It All
1 Fish, 2 Fish
A Sea-Cret Paradise
Absolut Paradise
Aquadesiac
Beach Therapy
Bikini-Tini
Briga-Dune
Diggity Dunes
Doc of the Bay
Going Coastal
Just Beachy
Just for the Halibut
Knot a Care
Lazy Daze
Liquid Asset
Mer-Majesty
Miss Bay Haven
No Cents
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem
Ocean Devotion
Sands of Time
Sea-Air-Ahh
Sea-Clusion
Sea-Duction
Sea-la-Vie
Sea-Nile
Sea-Renity
Seas the Day
Seas the Moment
Sea-Ya Soon
Sunsational
Tennessea

Someday I hope to own a cottage by the sea, where the waves will recharge my creative batteries and the sunshine relax away all my cares.  Fortunately, I have a few years to think up a good name.

Does the house you live in now have a name?  If so, care to share?  If not, what should it be? 

2 comments:

Doree L Anderson said...

Hi Jayne, Love the name of beach bungalows. I thought of one...Wat'er Day For Fun. A week on the beach sounds like heaven. But, believe me, work would never get done. Books, now books, yeah, I'd read and read. Do these places come with a maid and cook?

Good luck with ROW80. My novella is Stand With Me.

Charlottemacaw said...

We chose Wit's End several years ago when we were required by the county to name our road. They refused, instead, giving it to people with the real name of Witt. Loved reading this. Makes me want to choose a playful name to post on the entrance gate next to our "The Parsonage, circa 1863" sign. Maybe Noah's Ark?