Monday, October 28, 2013

Beach Writers: October Starter Sentence

East Beach Writer's Guild got us started writing this month with " 'Twas the night before Halloween..."  As always, it was a fun challenge, and got me in the mood for the upcoming holiday! 

‘Twas the night before Halloween and a thick fog rolled in.  So thick, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face, let alone the lamppost whose black paint had faded to a mottled grey, thanks to the constant sandblasting by the wind off the Chesapeake Bay.  So that’s how I ended up in the ER, with a goose egg on my forehead, on account of I’d been running, and smacked right into the damned thing.  “Why were you running in the fog?” one might ask. A valid question.
  
          I’d had a phone call about seven p.m.  “A wine emergency,” my friend Riley Wilson had proclaimed. Riley was eight-and-one-half months pregnant.  (Don’t ask me to convert that to weeks…I birthed my babies when everything was calculated in tri-mesters, not days) so for obvious reasons she’d sworn off all things alcoholic.  So at the end of her terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day, she called me to drink the wine for her.  That’s my motto, “I drink for those who can’t.”  I’m a good friend that way. So off I galloped, to Riley’s house.  Only I never made it, on account of me running into the pole.  So I ended up with the aforementioned goose egg on my head.  Collateral damage included a bruised coccyx and a sprained wrist. So now instead of dressing up as a cute kitten for Halloween tomorrow I’m going as a bandaged –up mummy, but a bandaged-up mummy carrying a bottle of pinot grigio in my good hand. 

          You won't want to miss other contributions, so click HERE to read the other offerings!  

No comments: